1997 zrt600 artic cat

Old 11-30-14, 01:37 PM
1997 zrt600 artic cat

I have a 1997 artic cat zrt 600. My problem is when the machine is running the ign key or the kill switch or the teather will not shut off motor. I either have to choke it off or pull plug wires. Also on the engine casing on right hand side of engine there are 3 to 4 wires that are ground wires attached to the casing with a screw. Well one of thoses wires broke off at the other end of the wire and I cant find where it hroke from. Could that be my problem and if so where does that wire go. Please help. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-14, 05:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That could be your problem. Start with the kill switch. See if it is missing a wire.

Old 12-01-14, 06:44 AM
Group Moderator
It sounds like your machine has be jury rigged which is common on older machines. It doesn't run so someone starts messing with wires until it will run, which unfortunately usually causes some unwanted side affects. Once someone has changed the wiring it's really up to you to just figure out what's going on and even the factory wiring diagram can only be used for crude reference. The best way to get everything working like it should is to get the wiring back to original, other than that it's just up to debugging skills to track down the problem.

Generally the ignition coil kill wire is shorted to ground to turn the engine off. That grounding/kill line probably runs through both the ignition and kill switches.

Old 12-01-14, 10:32 AM
zrt

Thank you all that has responded. Trying to find the other end of ground wire is difficult. It only comes up from the casing about 12 in or so. By swinging the broken wire around in a circle theres no broken wire that would suggest thats where it come from and knowing ibought the sled from an older gentleman I know the wiring was not tampered with. It worked good for me for 7 yrs. Im just trying what I can before shelling out big bucks to a dealer

Old 12-01-14, 12:49 PM
Group Moderator
I'd not take a '97 machine to the dealer. It'll cost $100 the minute it hits their floor.

The good news is that you've had it for 7 years and it has been working so hopefully the wiring is still stock.

Where does the end of the broken wire reach? The wire may have broken clean at a connection or it may have been cut and the other end has disappeared up inside somewhere.

I don't know if this diagram is for your machine but it might get you close.

Also, I surfed quickly through an Artic Cat forum and apparently the sleds had trouble with a bad CDI ground that prevents them from being turned off. Here is a quote from the other forum "That purple wire on you CDI needs to be grounded to kill the engine. If you carefully pop it out of the connector or rig up a jumper wire, plug everything else back together and get it running, then touch that purple wire directly to the engine ground it should kill the spark. If it kills the spark your CDI is good and it's a wiring problem.

If that works, put it all back together and unplug the 4 pin with the yellow wires. The sled should start but no lights will work. If you put a jumper across the 2 pins that are NOT yellow, that should kill the spark. If so, then the problem is up in the handle bar wiring, kill, tether, key switch. "

And here is the thread: looking for wiring help - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum

Old 12-01-14, 01:20 PM
zrt

Yes thanks for the reply. There are no visible broken wires or connection that I can see. Where ever that end of the wire is buried somewhere deep and I really dont want to take it apart. Im hoping to see a 1997 zrt 600 this winter and look under the hood. Then ill know exactly where itgoes