Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Speedometer cable retrofit

VA

01-09-15, 05:53 PM   #1  
Speedometer cable retrofit

I'm about to install a Traik Tech computer on my Honda CRF250X and I'm trying to determine if it's possible to re-use the stock odometer sensor and cable. I have no experience with odo and speedo cable so I have no clue what kind of parts are available. For starters, I need to connect the stock cable to a digital speedometer sender, which would require a dual female fitting. I would then connect the digital sender unit to the Trail Tech computer. That is the idea anyway. Does this sound doable? Is there such thing as a female to female speedo coupler/adapter? Do most speedo cables use the same size center shaft?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

01-09-15, 06:00 PM   #2  
Trail Tech ?
Any model number on the kit you're using ?

~ Pete ~

VA

01-09-15, 09:22 PM   #3  
Trail Tech Striker. The main issue is converting the mechanical rotation of the stock odometer cable to an electrical pulse that can be input to the Trail Tech. If it is possible to connect an electronic sending unit to the stock cable then I'll likely need to add another counter circuit to skip several pulses depending on what the Trail Tech requires. The Trail Tech sensor (which I wouldn't be using) gets mounted farther out on the hub so the frequency of the pulses would be less, which is why I would need an additional circuit to read every third pulse for example. This may turn out to be more complicated than it's worth. I can get an axle and collar from a 250R to take place of the stock odo unit and just use the sensor from the Trail Tech, but I thought it would be cool if I could re-use the stock odo unit to avoid drilling my caliper.

VA

01-13-15, 08:15 AM   #4  
I found a coupler that will work, but it is $35. And then I would need a sending unit for another $80, then I would need to design a divide-by-n counter to decrease the frequency of the pulses being sent to the Trail Tech computer. I've decided it is too expensive and would take too much effort for what it is worth. Guess I'll be removing the stock odometer sending unit and installing a collar in its place.

MI

01-14-15, 06:42 AM   #5  
Normally Trail Tech computers are bike-specific and the kit will include everything you need. You'll probably be adding a magnet & pickup wired directly to the TT without touching the OEM speedo & cable. I'm not familiar with the Striker but other TT computers have a programmable pulses-per-mile scaling in the setup menu. Best way to set them up is to take a GPS along and keep pecking at the scaling until it's dead on. It's hard to account for tire inflation & such in calculations.

VA

01-14-15, 08:56 AM   #6  
Normally Trail Tech computers are bike-specific and the kit will include everything you need. You'll probably be adding a magnet & pickup wired directly to the TT without touching the OEM speedo & cable. I'm not familiar with the Striker but other TT computers have a programmable pulses-per-mile scaling in the setup menu. Best way to set them up is to take a GPS along and keep pecking at the scaling until it's dead on. It's hard to account for tire inflation & such in calculations.
Correct, the Striker comes with a magnetic/inductive sensor. I was trying to come up with a custom solution to re-use the stock odo sensor and cable to avoid running another wire down the fork and drilling the caliper. Plus it would have been a fun little project with bragging rights. Turns out it isn't going to be feasible.

Search this Thread