Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Compression Gauge

VA

02-15-15, 07:46 AM   #1  
Compression Gauge

I'd like to make my own compression gauge. I already have the adapter hose to fit my spark plug hole so I just need an appropriate gauge. Will any air pressure gauge work or does it need to be a special type? I would think that I would want a gauge that maintains the pressure reading so that the needle doesn't flucuate during the test or start to decrease after the test. I suppose I would need a check valve and connect it to a regular gauge. Having difficulty finding a check valve with 1/4" NPT and 1/4" quick connect.

Last edited by mossman; 02-15-15 at 09:51 AM.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-15-15, 11:52 AM   #2  
What's your aversion to buying one? I think I paid about $30 for mine at autozone [they probably loan them also] Mine holds the pressure reading until you either press the plunger or remove the gauge.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Super Moderator

AZ

02-15-15, 12:02 PM   #3  
Harbor Freight (and other discount tool places) have them for about $20. You'll spend that much on all the other stuff you'd need for what you describe and it still won't work as well as a real one.

Right tool for the job and all that.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

VA

02-15-15, 02:39 PM   #4  
Sure, I could buy one I suppose. I was hoping to just have another gauge with check valve and throw it in the same box with my leakdown tester. Can't really beat $21.99 at HF though.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

02-15-15, 03:29 PM   #5  
Trying to reinvent the wheel and going to cost more money but a simple tee a couple of close nipples then a valve stem (I know there's a better name)
Any place that sells compressor parts will have a 1/4" check valve.
Lowes and HD have them.

Search this Thread