Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Compression Gauge

mossman's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,315

02-15-15, 07:46 AM   #1  
Compression Gauge

I'd like to make my own compression gauge. I already have the adapter hose to fit my spark plug hole so I just need an appropriate gauge. Will any air pressure gauge work or does it need to be a special type? I would think that I would want a gauge that maintains the pressure reading so that the needle doesn't flucuate during the test or start to decrease after the test. I suppose I would need a check valve and connect it to a regular gauge. Having difficulty finding a check valve with 1/4" NPT and 1/4" quick connect.

Last edited by mossman; 02-15-15 at 09:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
marksr's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 42,794

02-15-15, 11:52 AM   #2  
What's your aversion to buying one? I think I paid about $30 for mine at autozone [they probably loan them also] Mine holds the pressure reading until you either press the plunger or remove the gauge.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Gunguy45's Avatar
Super Moderator

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 20,655

02-15-15, 12:02 PM   #3  
Harbor Freight (and other discount tool places) have them for about $20. You'll spend that much on all the other stuff you'd need for what you describe and it still won't work as well as a real one.

Right tool for the job and all that.

"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

mossman's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,315

02-15-15, 02:39 PM   #4  
Sure, I could buy one I suppose. I was hoping to just have another gauge with check valve and throw it in the same box with my leakdown tester. Can't really beat $21.99 at HF though.

joecaption1's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,297

02-15-15, 03:29 PM   #5  
Trying to reinvent the wheel and going to cost more money but a simple tee a couple of close nipples then a valve stem (I know there's a better name)
Any place that sells compressor parts will have a 1/4" check valve.
Lowes and HD have them.

Search this Thread