Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Yamaha G22 blows white smoke

TX

03-01-15, 02:19 PM   #1  
Yamaha G22 blows white smoke

I recently acquired a 2005 G22 and proceeded to get the engine running. I was able to get the engine running but the unit blows white smoke. I checked the compression and it is fine. Need help on how to proceed forward.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

03-02-15, 09:03 AM   #2  
It's basically your average single cylinder, air cooled engine so you can treat it much like any small engine when diagnosing problems. Does it smoke after being run continuously for half an hour?

Is the choke fully opening (choke off) when you release the choke knob?

Check inside the air filter housing to see if a lot of oil is getting blown in and sucked back into the carburetor.

Check to make sure it's not over filled with oil.

You can do a leak down test (not a compression test) to help determine if you have a blown head gasket or other problem. Those engine's are pretty good so I'd go through the simple stuff first.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

03-02-15, 12:45 PM   #3  
Always nice to know what a G22 is.
Lawn mower, water cooled quad or snowmobile?
White smoke I think a moisture issue.
First thing I do when buying any used power tool with a gas engine is flush out the fuel tank, rebuild the carburetor, change all the filters, new plugs and add fresh nonethanol fuel .

Group Moderator

NC

03-02-15, 12:59 PM   #4  
A G22 is a 2003-2007 Yamaha golf cart.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

03-02-15, 01:10 PM   #5  
Guess my point was if there asking the question, why do we have to Google what the model # is to try and figure out what's wrong?

Search this Thread