Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

LED turn signals

OH

04-20-15, 01:39 PM   #1  
LED turn signals

Wasnt sure if I should post this in automotive or electrical so if I was wrong please move. I put LED turn signals on my motorcycle both front and back, first was back for about a year, replaced the old relay with a new electronic no load relay and all worked well. This year I added the front LED turn signals and nothing blinks. and my "bulb out" light stays lite. If I tap in to the line that feeds power to the turn signal and add another incandescent light then all lights including the LEDS both front and back blink fine. So what im getting at is obviously the load isnt big enough with just the LEDs for them to work properly but I thought that was the whole reason for the "no load" flasher relay. 1. Am I doing something wrong? 2. Is there something else im missing? 3. maybe my "no load" relay is junk? 4. Is there some sort of resistor or something I can put in line to draw more juice to make it believe all is well? The bike is a 79` Honda CB650.

Thanks~

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

TX

04-20-15, 02:21 PM   #2  
Moved to Motorcycles. .

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

04-20-15, 05:25 PM   #3  
Check the sockets or original bulbs. The front turns probably are 1157 or equivalent - two filament for run/turn while the rear turns are 1156 or equivalent single filament.

Woody

You can trust your car - and a whole lot more - to the man who wears a star.

OH

04-21-15, 01:51 PM   #4  
okay well I purchased some 20W resistors to draw a load and all is well.

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

04-22-15, 02:15 PM   #5  
Remember that the charging circuit on your bike has limited power. What you are dissipating in heat has the alternator working that much harder.

Woody

OH

04-24-15, 05:55 PM   #6  
well the bulbs I replaced were 23 watt a piece and are now 2 watt LED. so nothing in terms of power draw has changed.

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

04-25-15, 09:44 AM   #7  
You should not need the resistors if the no load turn signal flasher was working properly with the rear LEDs. Adding the proper LEDs to the front should not make a difference - if they are the correct replacement. The proper front bulbs should have two contacts on the base and be the equivalent of # 1157 bulbs. What bulb did you use in the front?

Woody

OH

04-26-15, 03:57 PM   #8  
1157. with the resistors now everything works. both driving lights and blinkers are fine. its a brand new no load relay so i dont see that being the problem. I think theres something in the wiring harness somewhere that tells the bike when the blinkers are out and stop power even going to the relay. IDK

Group Moderator

NJ

04-26-15, 04:12 PM   #9  
The only way we could comment further was if you posted the make and model of your flasher unit.

You're using a no-load relay but if the "bulb out" indicator stays lit then the system is wired wrong. The bulb out indicator should not be active with your new flasher unit.

~ Pete ~

OH

04-27-15, 09:15 PM   #10  
okay once again the bike is a 1979 Honda cb650.

blinker relay - http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Clean-FF5...+blinker+relay

front bulbs - Amazon.com: YupBizauto Brand Pair of 1157 White Color 68Chips Dual Filament Super Bright LED Light 5W Bulbs, Turn Signal Light, Corner Light, Stop Light, Parking Light, Side Marker Light, Tail Light, and Backup Lights: Automotive

rear blinker are just 2 wire dc 12volt leds. aftermarket Japanese stuff

I even have a "stop light" out light. that stays on 24/7 because my rear driving light/brake light is all led also

OH

04-27-15, 09:21 PM   #11  
I just decided to read some of the comments on Amazon. mine was purchased from a local store but it that same one. and allot of people are saying it wasnt working for no load/low load set ups. which is whats happening for me. so can someone recommend one that will work properly?

Search this Thread