Erratic speed on club car

Old 05-05-15, 12:05 PM
Erratic speed on club car

I have a 1999 club car with erratic speed problems. Sometimes it runs well for 18 holes, other times it runs very slow with the accelator to the floor and then accelerates suddenly...then may slow down later. This has been going on for several months. Some say it's a battery , 8 volts, problem (4-5 years old), others think it may be a controller problem. Does not happen consistently....

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-15, 12:15 PM
Group Moderator
So I assume it is an electric cart??? You said "...battery , 8 volts, problem (4-5 years old)..." Please clarify what that's supposed to mean. Has the problem existed for 4-5 years? Are the batteries 4-5 years old? What is 8 volts? The entire bank is 8 volts or have you disconnected the batteries and checked the voltage on one? If so what's the voltage on the others? To solve any problem you are going to have to get accurate and technical especially when dealing with an intermittent problem. The fine details are very important.

But without knowing anything I would start with the gas pedal sensor. It's in a dirty environment and gets a lot of abuse.

Old 05-07-15, 12:39 PM
Yes, electric golf carts run with 8 volt batteries. Six of them in my cart. They are 4-5 years old. The gas pedal/system is clean. When I accelerate the car goes very slowly then it might lurch forward at full speed and possibly slow down. Occasionally it works like normal. Does not depend on full overnight charge or after 18 holes. Very erratic. Some think it's the batteries, most Trojan batteries last up to 7years. Others think it is the controller or a capacitor?? I'd like to have an educated opinion before I go replacing parts. Batteries are $900 and controllers are $500. This may be somewhat of a common problem and I'd like to lower the risk by getting an experienced opinion. Thanks. (1999 Club Car)

Old 05-07-15, 02:04 PM
Group Moderator
It may not be an easy repair. You really need to take and connect a DC voltmeter to the variable output from the pedal to see if the problem is there or in the controller.

The pedal uses a variable resistor that can get dirty.
Do you have a wiring diagram for the club car or a model number ?

It does not sound like a battery problem to me although that is easy enough to check too. You'd need to connect the voltmeter to the point where the batteries connect to the contactor. As you're driving you can monitor the battery voltage.

Old 05-07-15, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
I seriously doubt batteries have anything to do with the problem. Batteries usually don't do anything quickly or erratically.

How have you verified that the "gas/pedal system" is clean? There is not much you can easily do with the controller but it get's it's speed input from that little sensor at the pedal. As you move the pedal it should change it's resistance smoothly and repeatedly. If it's dirty (internally, not the exterior condition of the gas pedal area) or dying of old age it can produce an erratic signal that causes the controller and motor to act unpredictably. Since that potentiometer gets used alot and is in a dirty, abused location it's a good place to start. It's also nice that it's relatively inexpensive.

As for the wiring diagram... do you know if your cart has regenerative braking or not?

Do you have a volt/ohm meter?