EZGO Freedom II slow acceleration

Old 08-11-15, 10:04 AM
EZGO Freedom II slow acceleration

I have an EZGO Freedom II golf cart which is somewhat slow on acceleration. It's slowness increases with the heat of the day and engine heat. Once it gets going, it runs fine and seems to pull hills adequately. I don't think this could be classed as a sudden development, but it was performing adequately several months ago. I had annual maintenance done in May. Is there an adjustment of some kind for the clutch or drive belt that might cure this problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-15, 01:35 PM
Group Moderator
Is it gas or electric? Since you mention engine, clutch and drive belt I assume it's a gas model. There are several things that can cause performance problems as the heat rises. The engine might be running rich because of the less dense (hot) humid summer air. The clutch, especially the primary can stick or become more problematic as it gets hot and the belt can be worn.

Old 08-11-15, 02:43 PM
It is gas, and the richness might be something to look into. After a round and it sits for maybe 30 minutes, it is sometimes somewhat difficult to start. You can sometimes use the chock slightly to get it started. Once started, it will restart just fine. It is only after sitting for a few minutes when it is hot.

Old 08-11-15, 03:22 PM
Group Moderator
Remove the spark plug and see what it looks like. If it's sooty and black it's a sign that it's running rich. Check to make sure your air filter is clean. You can also check the choke cable to make sure the choke is actually fully off (open) when not choking.

Take a look at your secondary/driven clutch when the cart is off. It should be all the way at the top.