1994 club car

Old 03-04-16, 02:25 PM
1994 club car

my gas club car gets up to speed then cuts out then starts running for a bit then cuts out again. help please

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-16, 04:17 PM
That is the governor doing its job to prevent you speeding.

RR

Old 03-05-16, 03:55 AM
how can i stop this? i rented one last year and it didn't do this.

Old 03-05-16, 04:29 AM
Group Moderator
I want to find out if you are hitting the ground speed governor or if you are hitting the engine's rev limiter. Either one can make the cart seem to cut out.

About how fast is the cart going when it cuts out?

About how many rpm's is the engine turning when it cuts out? Is the engine turning about as fast as a lawnmower or is it turning even faster.

Old 03-05-16, 07:31 AM
i have no idea. everything is stock, so its going as fast as a golf cart goes on a golf course. i just want to fix it, i know its not right. I've ridden on a few carts and none of them have done that. once they reach top speed they stay running there. none of them have cut out on me.

Old 03-05-16, 08:40 AM
Someone has adjusted the engine governor too high and the speed governor is shutting off engine momentarily. Adjust the engine governor slightly slower so as not to run up to speed governor cut out point. Simple fix.
Suggest you obtain an owner/operator manual and check for directions for adjusting governor.

RR

Old 03-05-16, 10:17 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, when adjusted properly the engine should not cut out. It should act more like you backed off the throttle a bit. The engine rev limiter is not adjustable but the ground speed governor is. It's located on top of the transaxle at the rear of the cart.

If the engine sounds like it's reving unusually high and you are not going faster than about 12 or 15 mph then it could indicate a clutch problem. If both clutches are working properly the cart should be going quite noticeably faster than a stock cart before the engine rev limiter to kick in. My Yamaha will do about 25 on level ground before the rev limiter starts killing ignition to the engine.