Club car precedent goes and stops

Old 05-29-16, 01:36 PM
Club car precedent goes and stops

My 2009+ club car runs for awhile, then stops. After a wait of a few minutes or longer, it goes again. Could this be a solenoid problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-16, 02:22 PM
Group Moderator
Boy, could you give us any less to go by? Is it gas or electric?

Old 05-30-16, 08:21 AM
The cart is a 48 volt system with 4 -12 volt batteries. The batteries check out at 12.4 volts, and the system checks at 49.4 volts. Just trying to avoid a trip to a shop.

Old 05-30-16, 08:25 AM
The cart is a 48 volt electric using 4-12 volt batteries which all check out good. The system checks out at 49.4 volts, so thinking it is the solenoid or something like the obvious.

Old 05-30-16, 09:00 AM
Group Moderator
Is there an echo in here ?

Just trying to avoid a trip to a shop.
We can appreciate that but we don't have crystal balls. We can only see what you tell us.

The batteries may "appear" to be good but that measured voltage is not terribly high. The only real way to check a battery is under load.

What you could do is to take the cart for a ride and when it fails.... measure the voltage at that point.

Usually what I'll do is to clip my meter first directly to the 48v output from the batteries... at the batteries... and take it for a test. Then move the meter to either chassis ground or to where the battery negative connects and to the output side of the solenoid and take it for another test. These voltages will tell the story.

Old 05-30-16, 09:46 AM
Group Moderator
Also, hook up your meter so you can see the voltage when driving. I'm curious if the voltage really dives.

You say the cart drives for a while then stops. How is the driving? Does it have the usual full power and speed or is it slow and lethargic? When it starts working again does it go slowly?

Your 49.4 volts is not great and would be about 70% for good batteries. If that's their voltage when fully charged I've got to ask how old are the batteries?

Old 06-03-16, 05:20 PM
Changed solenoid, mission accomplished.

Search this Thread