Honda Rebel start problem

Old 08-31-16, 08:26 AM
Honda Rebel start problem

My 2007 Rebel clicks when pressing the starter switch. Is coming from the part located closely to the right of the battery. New battery, started quickly previously, no dragging, new plugs. Bought used, unsure of starter or sylenoid age. Bike Is stranded. My only means of trans right now. I am mechanically inclined if I know what to change or troubleshoot I might can doitmyself. Have managed much so far. Please help me asap. Thanks 53yr old music teacher

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-16, 09:39 AM
Group Moderator
The battery may be new but is it charged? Also check the cables and battery posts to make sure both mating surfaces are shiny clean and the connection is tight.

Old 08-31-16, 09:56 AM
yes, the battery seems to be charged. The headlight is bright and I actually tried jump starting only to get the same loud clicking that wasnt there during previous starts. Connections are clean and tight.

Old 08-31-16, 10:06 AM
I've had a dead battery before and it would only be a silent failed start. The loud clicking is an indicator but of what I dont know.

Old 08-31-16, 10:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What does the headlight do if it's on and then you hit the starter? If the light goes out it's probably the battery.

Old 08-31-16, 10:33 AM
Group Moderator
The loud clicking sounds like the solenoid for the starter.
Do you know where the solenoid is ?

There are two possible choices for your bike. They both wire and work the same way. You need to check at the two large posts to see if the power is being passed thru. One goes to the battery and the other goes to the starter motor.

Name:  solenoid.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  25.9 KB

Old 08-31-16, 12:53 PM
I am 99% sure that the part I described is the solenoid, looks just like it, and is where the clicking is coming from, to the right of the battery. I will test it and report back. Also, yes, the headlight goes out when pressing the starter. But I am pretty sure it always did that. I will charge the battery 24hrs just in case. Thank you very much.

Old 09-01-16, 10:42 AM
OK for now

Not sure why but when I returned to my bike, it clicked a few times then started right up. Has started no problem 20 times since last night. I will have the battery checked and will replace the solenoid just to be on the safe side considering the age of the bike. I did notice the headlight go dim for a short moment a couple of times when riding in low the past week. Thanks for all replies.

Old 09-01-16, 02:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most Honda's have he starter switch designed to turn off the headlight when starting.

Check and clean the connection from the solenoid to the starter at both ends.