Problem installing batteries in power wheelchair

Old 03-04-17, 03:38 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Problem installing batteries in power wheelchair

I am having difficulty installing batteries in a 10 year old Jazzy 600 power wheelchair. I get sparks when I try to connect the battery cables I have tried to attach each battery separately, then did negative terminals on both batteries first. But the result was the same. I have been told that this means there is a short. Is there a way for me to correct this problem? I do not see any stripped or corroded wires. The battery cables, posts, and clamps are brand new. I have a disability and am trying to renovate this old chair. It has been idle for a couple years, but functioned well prior to that. Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-04-17, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately randomly connecting DC equipment like that usually spells disaster.
DC equipment cannot be connected backwards without causing damage.

There should be two wires coming from the chair itself. One should be red and go to the + on one of the batteries. The other wire should be black and go to the - on the other battery.
Then there will be a jumper or circuit breaker between the - on the first battery and the + on the second battery.

This puts the two batteries in series for 24vdc operation.

Name:  jazzy 600.JPG
Views: 8681
Size:  39.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 03-04-17 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-05-17, 04:26 PM
L
I did not do this haphazardly. I understand the + and - cables and where to attach them.. My only variation was attaching each battery separately at first. Then, after some online research, I learned that I should ideally connect negative cables to each battery first, then the positive. I ended up with exactly the scenario shown in your diagram, but get sparks when the last cable is connected. I've been told there must be a short. This is what I need help with.

Old 03-05-17, 04:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
There should not be any sparking when connecting the batteries.

If there is a short it will be in the controller and that is something you will not be able to service.

Old 03-08-17, 12:49 PM
L
Guess that's the story. It can't be repaired. So I now have 4 wheelchair batteries I can't use, the 2 I removed and 2 new ones. I assumed the chair not working was a battery issue. Is there any way to test the 2 older batteries without connecting them again? Does a battery tester exist for such batteries?

Old 03-08-17, 12:53 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Battery testers exist for all batteries. Especially common are testers for lead batteries and your batteries are likely 12v lead batteries so you're in luck. You can crudely test the batteries by checking their voltage. Better/best is to test them under load. Most automotive stores have a tester and will do it for free. Basically they apply a heavy load by running a heater and check how much the voltage drops under load. If you have any 12v DC device that draws a decent current you can do your own test by putting a load on the battery and seeing how it's voltage drops.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question