Diagonally hauling 500 lb bike with 500 lb working load straps doubled up

Old 05-07-17, 06:59 AM
M
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Diagonally hauling 500 lb bike with 500 lb working load straps doubled up

I got a 6' bed pickup so the only way to haul the bike (weighs 500 lbs) is diagonally with ratcheting straps.

The price for the 4-pack shown was $20 but since the working load was 500 lbs I bought two and plan to double up on the straps.

Would you think this is a good idea or should I spring for the 3300 lbs working load straps which are $20 apiece?

Old 05-07-17, 07:13 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
If a mishap should occur using he cheaper ones, would you have buyers remorse and think for a few bucks more I might have prevented this problem? And is you bike worth the extra $20 bucks? I don't think we can answer your question as well as you can answer it after thinking about it.

Old 05-07-17, 07:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Are you suspending the bike, hanging it from a single strap? Cuz that's the only way you would exceed the 500 lb limit. Or if you wrecked the truck, you would probably expect that the forces of a collision could ruin the straps.

But just strapping down a bike to keep it from moving? As long as you do it right, you would have nothing to worry about.

Old 05-07-17, 07:32 AM
M
There would be four straps, two on the handlebars and two in the rear.
Each one of the four straps would secure to one of the four handles within the pickups' bed

Old 05-07-17, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
The rating of the straps should greatly exceed the weight that it is holding.
All it would take is a good pothole, hitting a curb or emergency braking to exceed the rating on one strap.

You will try to apply even tension on all straps when tightening but the load won't necessarily comply in an unexpected turn of events.
I like to think that if my truck or trailer were to slide down the road on it's side the load will remain in place!

Old 05-07-17, 08:45 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Excuse my temporary hi-jack of your post, but I figure this is a good place to add my two cents.

I just purchased a 5 x 10 Cabela's UTV trailer this week and will be hauling the UTV back and forth from the new cabin I recently purchased. I could've and almost did buy a LOWES trailer but decided to buy the unit made to carry the UTV for just a few hundred more. With coupon and existing points on Club card it was actually cheaper than LOWES. What the LOWES unit did not have...2 x 6 treated lumber flooring or decking, tubular rail set high on the bed, re-enforced steel expanded bed and ramp. Being the cheapo I tend to be I thought maybe I'll use whatever straps I have at home. Second thought, buy the recommended ones and be safe and confident.

So, in keeping with the subject at hand I will be learning how to properly tie down the UTV.

OK, back to regularly scheduled programing. Thanks.

Old 05-07-17, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Those are similar to what I used to haul my 850 Yammerhammer back in the day. 570 lbs. Only 4 straps. I carried it coast to coast. Never had an issue. And mine didn't ratchet, they were just the pull the loose end through the buckle type, then knot it around the tensioned strap. Checked and tightened at 1st gas/meal stop, good to do.

You have to do it correctly though. Handlebars? Bad. Upper frame? Good. Left side of truck strapped to left side of bike? Better to use an X pattern from bike to anchor. Same way they tie down vehicles and cargo on ships. Left side of bike to right side of truck. That's IF you can get equal pressure directly opposite each other of course. I had adjustable tiedown rails so it was easy.

Compress the suspension when strapping or it will bounce around.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 05-07-17 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-07-17, 07:31 PM
M
"Compress the suspension when strapping or it will bounce around."
Not sure what that means and how to do it

Old 05-07-17, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator
Either have someone sit on it, or tighten the straps enough that the front forks and rear shock(s) are partially compressed. Otherwise, you hit a bump, the bike gets jolted up then down and the tires can move around causing the straps to loosen.

Old 05-08-17, 05:18 AM
M
I see, the suspension on the bike, that's a great idea, thanks

also there is a tensioner adjustment dial that can be set for a heavy load to a light load. If it's just me I set it to a light load if I carry a passenger I set it to a heavy load. Should that be set to light or heavy or doesn't matter?

Old 05-08-17, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
That's a good question. Heavy load will allow less up and down movement, but you also won't be able to compress the suspension very much if it's just you. I'd probably leave it at whatever it's normally set at, or a couple of notches higher, but not all the way up.

Old 05-08-17, 01:54 PM
M
right now I have it at the lowest setting which is just me so I will sit on the bike and keeping it at the lowest setting so I get the most compression strap the straps on as tight as can be and I should be good

Old 05-22-17, 06:17 AM
M
I hauled the bike this weekend, no mishaps.
I found the ramp to be too skinny so I laid a 2x12 on each side of the ramp so my feet could post in case I needed to balance.
This was especially useful when getting the bike out of the truck bed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question