Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Melex golf cart model number 212

01-25-18, 02:57 AM   #1 (permalink)  
Melex golf cart model number 212

I was recently given a Melex golf cart model number 212 I know nothing about this golf cart besdies the fact that it's 36volt and takes 6 6volt batteries am I able to change the 6volt to 12 volt batteries??

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

CANADA

01-25-18, 03:35 AM   #2 (permalink)  
Welcome to our forums!

You should use a 36 volt charger which is what would have come with the cart.
A 6 volt charger would work if you charge each battery individually but would be a pain to do.
A 12 volt charger could work but you would have to charge the 6 volt batteries in pairs.

Perhaps the person who gave you the cart would have the correct charger.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

VA

01-25-18, 06:21 AM   #3 (permalink)  
Why would you want to change them to 12 volts?

Group Moderator

NC

01-25-18, 06:52 AM   #4 (permalink)  
Yes, you can use 12 volt batteries though you will need a new set of battery cables. Instead of having six 6 volt batteries you will have three 12 volt ones. Either way you still end up with 36 volts. You might also have to modify the battery mounting trays and hold downs to accommodate the batteries depending on their size.

Keep in mind that the batteries are your cart's gas tank. The size of the batteries will determine how far and how long you can drive the cart. If each of your 12 volt batteries is about the same physical size as a 6 volt you might not have to do much work to the battery trays but your cart will have greatly reduced range and run time (about half). There are large 12 volt batteries that are about the same capacity of two 6 volt ones but they are rather hard to find at which point you'd be better off sticking with 6 volt batteries as the cart was designed for. But, I have seen carts converted to use regular auto 12 volt batteries or marine deep cycles and they do work, they just have short range but for those using them close to home and when you don't mind frequent charging it can work out ok.

Search this Thread