New (expensive) tire just got a screw in it.

Old 02-21-18, 01:03 PM
New (expensive) tire just got a screw in it.

A few weeks ago, for winter riding, I bought a brand new Michelin rear tire that I was told was the "grippiest" tire available for my bike (and was charged accordingly).
Today after getting home and parking, I noticed a screw right in the center of the tread of the tire >:-(
No spare bike but I did buy a tire since this has happened before to an older tire that I threw out so I'll be spending my evening putting on the other tire.
My question is, can the tire with the screw in it be repaired (preferably self-repaired) or do I take an expensive loss on this?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-18, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
I dunno about M/C tires, best to ask a shop...but I sure as heck wouldn't be trying self repair on a road bike. That could get you dead a lot easier than on a car. Off road machine might be different. IIRC when I picked up a nail they said they could put a tube in and I think that's what I did...but that was 38 yrs ago.

At least you know it really is "grippy". Sure grabbed that screw didn't it?

Old 02-21-18, 01:12 PM
Do they offer "Road Hazard" protection for Motorcycle Tires ?

Old 02-21-18, 04:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
On auto tires the recommended repair is a patch on the inside. I would guess the same for MC tires, Never put a plug in tire.

Old 02-22-18, 02:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I was thinking the same thing - a vulcanized patch on the inside. While I know it's not recommended, I've put thousands of miles on tire plugs BUT I would never trust one on a bike!

Old 02-22-18, 04:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I had two bikes back in the late 70's, early 80's. I had a flat on a rear tire on the 650 I had. I had it fixed & never had trouble. That certainly doesn't mean it CAN'T have issues. I don't know what the recommended procedure is but I'm just saying, I had mine fixed. I am sure without a doubt it was a patch in the tire. I don't know if there was a tube put in or not. I don't remember a tube being put in.

Best advice I can give at this point is, if you have it fixed, check your tire pressure daily for a couple of weeks with a digital tire gauge. Then obviously check tire pressure before each ride.

Old 02-22-18, 08:56 AM
I've put thousands of miles on tire plugs

So a failed plug on the tread can not get any worst than the original leak. I've repaired many tires with plugs without ever having a re-leak!

Anything on the sidewall is a patch or replacement.

I see no reason a cycle tire would be any different, I would not throw away any tire without at least attempting to repair!

Old 03-17-18, 08:06 AM
Michael, as long as it was in the center of the tread, it can be repaired. I've had quite a few on my Goldwing, before going to a car tire. so I know your frustration. The only CORRECT way to effect a permanent and safe repair is to dismount the tire and have it patched from inside. The various"push in-pull out" type plugs may or may not work . Personally, I don't trust a plug. The patched from the inside repair works well with a bias as well as radial tire.

Old 03-31-18, 11:05 AM
Is it a tubeless or tube-type?
Can you put a tube in it?

Old 05-01-18, 08:41 PM
I think I'll start commuting using my tubed bike so if I hit something it's only a $25 tube and save the tubeless for a backup and for longer trips where, if I break down, at least I can patch it enough to get me to a shop.