2007 Kawasaki VN900 won't turn over - new battery

Old 05-06-18, 05:25 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2007 Kawasaki VN900 won't turn over - new battery

Hi all - I have a 2007 Kawasaki VN900 Classic Lt that simply will not start for me. At first I thought I had a faulty battery because it wouldn't hold a charge. I purchased a new one from a local motorcycle repair shop, dropped it in the motorcycle and no luck, it still will not start, the motor still won't turn over. I clamped my load tester to the battery, turned the key to the on position and pressed the start button. There was absolutely no voltage drop. Now, historically when I turned the key to the on position I always heard what is best described as a humming sound which lasted for about 2 to 3 seconds. My best guess is either the fuel pump is coming alive or the injector pump is coming up to pressure. Whatever it was, it doesn't last as long as it used to. To be honest, I really do not know much about motorcycles, other than they can put you on your backside really quick. All comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your help. Roger

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-18, 04:58 AM
B
Received 93 Votes on 81 Posts
How I long for the days when m/c had a mechanical crank. I see you having 2 choices. First is to get a schematic and wiring diagram for your m/c. Then purchase a multimeter or a 12 vdc test light and verify you have voltage at locations identified by the wiring diagram for the off/start and run positions of the key switch. This should help you identify the location of the problem. The second choice is to take it to a m/c repair shop and have them troubleshoot and repair.

Old 05-07-18, 05:33 AM
R
beelzebob - Thanks for the reply. I've been trying to stay away from the repair shop due to funds being low. I think my best course of action is to take your advice and purchase the wiring schematic and see where I'm losing voltage. Thanks. Roger

Old 05-10-18, 07:45 AM
R
Update!

Yesterday provided me with time to look over the motorcycle and why she wasn't turning over. After investigating I found that the starter relay connections were heavily corroded. After cleaning them with Emory cloth, I reassembled everything and she fired up without a hitch. Thankfully I was able to find online a downloadable copy of the service manual, which was invaluable trying to find the starter relay. Roger