Painting >80degrees in a carprt amidst scattered thunderstorms

Old 08-10-18, 06:00 AM
M
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Painting >80degrees in a carprt amidst scattered thunderstorms

I've put this project off for far too long already and this is really the only weekend I can do it.
I need to prime and paint the parts of my bike (wheels, fairings, gas tank, oil cooler covers).
It's already sanded down with 180 and ready for primer.

I'd ideally like to do this when:
a) it's within 60-80 degrees
b) it's a dry day
c) schedule permitting

but I don't see those three stars above lining up anytime in the foreseeable future, such is life.

This weekend it's only supposed to be a few degrees above 80 here and there however there's going to be scattered thunderstorms and hence moisture in the air and I don't have an enclosed garage so I'll have to lay down tarps and do it in the one-car carport.

Is this do-able for a decent paint job or will the moisture ruin everything?

I'll be spraying single stage Audi Phantom Black (paint code LZ9Y)

Attached Images  
Old 08-10-18, 07:48 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Humid

Some general points:

About 65-85% humidity at the temperature you are at will be fine. Too low a temperature and/or humidity is actually a bigger problem.

But if it is so humid there is condensation on the surface than that's not going to work. Paint in the morning, to avoid the temperature change and condensation potential later in the evening.

Hang the tarps, and perhaps you can get a portable dehumidifier in the enclosed area before painting, that should help.

Wait longer between coats, as the high humidity typically causes slower cure, depends on the specific paint formula. What is the brand/chemistry of the single pack paint?

Old 08-10-18, 08:49 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I would pay careful attention to your air supply. Make sure you have a good inline filter to trap any water droplets.

Old 08-10-18, 09:12 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
So back when I used to own a shop we did not have AC so summer painting required some changes.

As noted you have the option to pick the time of day or night when temps are a little cooler.

Cant do much regarding the humidity but with catalyzed paints that is not really going to make a huge impact.

Good disposable air filters and a clean/new air hose are always needed, dont use that old hose that has been soaked with oil from the compressor.

Old 08-10-18, 10:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Drying time can also be altered by the thinner that is used, some thinners will speed up drying time while others can slow it down.

I painted several cars when I lived in fla and the humidity was always high. An exhaust fan along with a water separator on the air line was always enough to prevent problems with the paint job.

Old 08-10-18, 04:34 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I'll be spraying single stage Audi Phantom Black (paint code LZ9Y)
Im assuming the term single stage is a catalyzed paint vs lacquer or enamel paint where different solvents/reducers are used for different temps but need confirmation.

Old 08-10-18, 04:46 PM
M
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
In this case I'm using the term single stage mainly to refer to a lack of clear coat finish. I will be mixing in appropriate levels of activators, reducers, and hardeners

Search this Thread

Ask a Question