1963 Cushman Golfster: gas model 735

Old 10-27-19, 04:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Thanks for the reminder on pictures.
You had sent me these a while back and I forgot who they were for.

Nice job. Name:  thumb.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  1.6 KB

Old 10-27-19, 06:59 PM
W
Received 41 Upvotes on 37 Posts
Lol well now I know at least that they went to you the last time. I just have to get motivated now to make an enclosure for it. I suppose a thousand bucks is not out of line, but all I need is a wind break. We will see how that goes! Thanks again for all your help!

Old 02-07-20, 05:34 PM
W
1963 Cushman golfster

Pete, (and Dane) I now have an enclosure wrapped around the above pictured vehicle. I found and upholstery shop in Michigan that was 7 miles away from me in Ohio. Once the guy had the photos, and then the Cushman, he had it done in 3 days! I have snow tires and rims on it at present. When I get the alloy rims back on for spring, I will email you a photo of the completed project. Oh, and I found an upgraded centrifugal clutch made in 1964 as an upgrade to the chintzy one that was original until 1963. I found it at a Cushman Dealer in Indiana by just blind luck! Sources tell me this can be installed without taking the vehicle apart from the top down, so I will keep you posted on that too.

Old 02-07-20, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
Those guys are pretty handy when it comes to making covers. I have a friend that does stuff like that and a lot of custom boat covers. It's a specialized field. Not much competition.

Old 02-10-20, 08:25 AM
W
1963 Cushman golfster

A wise old uncle told me that the word "talent' was a derivative of the phrase "to like doing something" I grew up in a clothing factory, so I can do that stuff, but I hate doing it now! I KNEW the workmanship I can see on the Cart was done by somebody who must really enjoy doing that stuff lol.

Thanks!
WML13

Last edited by PJmax; 02-10-20 at 04:29 PM. Reason: removed email address
Old 02-27-20, 04:30 PM
W
Cushman Golfster

Pete, I may have told you that the enclosure is done and on the cart. We are having a late winter here in Ohio, so the cab is VERY welcome. I also have the old rims with snow tires and chains mounted which take away from the look. When I remount the new wheels, I will take some more pictures and email them to your address!
Thanks again for everyones input and help!

Old 03-06-20, 11:04 AM
W
Cushman Manifold Heater

Pete, the neighbors are impressed with the new Canopy and Enclosure, and have asked when I will add heater and air conditioning. It seemed to me that at one time Cushman actually made a manifold heater kit for the 18 hp twin aircooled engines used in mail carrier and police vehicles. I cannot find even a photo of that accessory, but have seen some kits at Summit racing. I know that AC will take too much power and room for my Golfster, but a heater might be an impressive option at the shows! How does a manifold heater safely pull the heat from the manifold itself?

Old 03-06-20, 11:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
You can look into experimental aircraft suppliers. There are heater shrouds that you clamp over an exhaust pipe or you can make your own then all you'd need is a blower.

Old 03-06-20, 11:51 AM
W
From the look of your example, all I would need is access to a straight run of OEM exhaust pipe so the kit or home made shroud could wrap around it. cold air enters from the left and warm air heads for the cab via a hose and blower on the right?

Old 03-06-20, 01:21 PM
P
Group Moderator
Air can go in either end. If you don't have a long enough straight section of exhaust you can make up or buy two shorter heat mufflers. To extract more heat you can stretch out a spring and wrap around the exhaust pipe before you clamp the heat muff over the outside. If you are creative you can make one that will fit over curved sections of exhaust.

Old 03-06-20, 03:32 PM
Group Moderator
Looking good. I received the pictures you sent me by unfortunately the I.T. department has taken picture editing away from the moderators. I'm waiting for a change in that situation.

Old 03-10-20, 01:32 PM
W
Pete, All I need now is a sunny day to photograph the Cushman with it's alloy wheels, canopy, and enclosure, which are all installed and looking good. I know this is stretching it, but I also have a Centrifugal Clutch on the bench that needs to go in it. Every Cushman service manual I have read says I have to remove the engine and transmission to do anything to the Clutch, Since removing the engine and transmission requires removing the entire upper body, I have to believe that somebody has found a quicker way to work on, change, or add the Centrifugal system coupling to one of these vehicles. So I am putting it out there, Who has the system? Who has done it, and how?

Old 03-10-20, 03:37 PM
P
Group Moderator
I've done it on more modern Yamaha golf carts and on modern UTV's but never on a cart as old as yours. Is there physically no room to get it on the shaft with the engine still in place?

Old 03-10-20, 04:36 PM
W
I just don't know. When I put the basket case pieces together 20 years ago. I just built and assembled everything from the frame on up. After rebuilding the engine, I vaguely remember attaching the clutch to a small rear flywheel, and slipping the transmission shaft thru the clutches into a pilot bearing in that small flywheel. This was all done with the vehicle's body stored elsewhere, I will just raise everything up when the weather gets warm and see what I can get some tools on to take things apart.I will start with the Drive shaft and work my way forward.

Old 03-16-20, 08:22 PM
Group Moderator
Awesome job Bill. Name:  thumb.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  1.6 KB

Name:  Cushman Golfster with Cab Enclosure 3-15-2020.JPG
Views: 1291
Size:  142.2 KB
Posted for Bill.

Pilot Dane voted this post useful.
Old 08-22-20, 06:56 PM
W
Cushman Golfster Canopy

Don't know if you will get this or not, Pete, but I saw a quick view of an original canopy reproduction being made by somebody in Florida. They are supposed to be advertising for business in the Cushman Club of America Magazine, but I have not found it yet. With my new enclosure custom made for my own canopy, I am not really a customer, but if its true, it is a pretty sharp cab.

Old 09-28-20, 01:04 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
looking for exhaust

Hello, I'm working on restoring my dad's cushman golfster. We're unsure of the year, likely a 64 - 65. I need to replace the exhaust but can't find a good resource. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Old 09-28-20, 04:13 PM
W
You can pretty much tell the year based on the transmision shift levers and parking brake set up. If you have a 63, 64, or 65 you will have just one shift lever in the center of the console. Your parking brake is attached to the brake pecal, and you just flip it over to lock the brake pedal in the "pressed down" position. The original exhaust system had two pipes running to the back into a square welded metal box. There were two lines going in, and one going out under the cart. I have an old muffler I kept just for design purposes. Most of my friends and aquaintances who own the Shark Nose golfster got rid of the boxed muffler and installed two small auto mufflers under each seat between the frame rails. A set of pipes went from the backs of the mufflers up and over the top of the axle and then down and out the back with some decorative tips of personal choice. I had a muffler shop weld and bend the pipes for me. If you still have the two speed, forward and reverse, only transmission, you may have a centrifugal clutch mounted along with the conventional clutch to make shifting easier. If you have the original centrifugal clutch, you will find it a challenge to restore, and work properly. Cushman improved it in 1964 and you can still find them out there. If you don't just remove it, and want to upgrade. that is the way to go. I have one waiting on my bench to install in mine.

Old 08-29-21, 03:40 PM
W
Pete and Dane,

Believe it or not, I subscribe to a site called Vintage Cushman Golfsters and Utility Vehicles/Facebook. A Gentleman posted an ORIGINAL Cushman Canopy with the canvas cover for sale last week. He was in Lincoln Nebraska and i won't even begin to tell you how much it cost to ship it to Sylvania Ohio, but I own it now. He did not have the uprights for it, but I can use the ones you guys helped me build two years ago if I want to. He sent me the photos of the actual uprights HE owns for his own cart, so I could build a set of those, but I figure, if a Canopy is still out there, the uprights will be too lol I thought you might get a kick out hearing this lol!

Old 10-13-21, 03:36 PM
W
Well Guys, the above Golfster is going to look different next year. I was able to score an original Cuahman Canopy Option out in Lincoln Nebraska, and it is safely in my garage. It did not come with the stock supports, so I will have those made up for me this winter. If you look closely the ones I built above go almost straight up from the floorboards of the cart. The Originals had bends and different mounting brackets that put a rake going up to the top in front and back. I like the enclosure I had built with the zip up doors too much so I will be using that in the winter. I will send a pic to Pete when I get the new one built.

CircuitBreaker voted this post useful.
Old 10-13-21, 04:19 PM
Group Moderator
Ahhhh..... lining up the winter work. Good idea.

Old 10-14-21, 03:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
The new top should look nice with some curves/angles in the uprights.

Old 11-02-21, 03:03 PM
W
Well I just found out a friend has a complete tubing bender someone gave him, with lots of dies. The tubing distributor is a 30 minute drive, so I have no excuse now lol (another skill I have to train myself to do lol)

Old 03-20-22, 06:46 PM
W
Well Pete, not sure I told you but I scored an OEM canopy from a guy who had an original with everything but the uprights, In Nebraska. With all the fun I have been having with the electronic ignition, I have ;put bending the steel to make those on hold. The enclosure I had made fo fit the one I built might even fit.

Old 03-20-22, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Thread closed. It has run its course. Start new thread if needed.

This thread became blog like....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question