Cushman front suspension

Old 10-07-18, 07:12 PM
Cushman front suspension

I have a 1963 Cushman Golfster Model 735. It has just one front wheel with a spring suspension similar to a Motorcycle. There are two bushings on either side of the wheel (parts of the suspension, not the wheel bearings) that have individual grease zerks for scheduled maintenance. It is very hard to get these bushings to take grease, It takes everything I have on a manual grease gun to lubricate them, and they just laugh at an air powered gun. Is taking the suspension apart my only option for making them accept grease more easily?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-18, 05:15 AM
Group Moderator
Have you tried replacing the Zerk fittings? Maybe their check valve is jammed or rusted shut.

Old 10-08-18, 07:15 AM
Cushman Zerk Fittings

If you saw where the fittings were stuck down in a hole between two thick metal pieces, you would understand why I have not replaced them. If I have to go that route (and remember that I CAN get grease thru them to the necessary metal on metal parts where it is supposed to go) I bet those fittings have been in there 50 years, so it will probably take some sun surface heat to get them out. Before I did that, I wanted to get your take on it....