Harley softail 12 volt dilemma

Old 12-28-18, 03:19 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Harley softail 12 volt dilemma

greetings
hello all I'm new here and I have a question and a schematic for you to review, this is for a 1999 harley softail heritage, using a 12 volt relay to switch the turn signals to running lamps on demand, make the turn signals act as a running light but when I switched turn signals on for some reason to turn signals won't flash, but the light goes out, so I was hoping someone could look at the schematic and make any recommendations or new schematic that someone has the experienced enough to know what to actually do in this case.
thanks a lot this is a great forum and
I wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Bob

Attached Images  
Old 12-28-18, 04:09 AM
B
Received 292 Upvotes on 259 Posts
Schematic only shows the coil and contacts for the relay. You need the electrical schematic/wiring diagram for your motorcycle to determine if or where the relay can be connected to accomplish whatever you are trying to do. Your description is not clear.

Old 12-28-18, 04:26 AM
C
I have the schematic, to determine what wires to use, but need to a relay to the existing wiring and tap it in, to make the turn signal light a running light and a turn signal light
thanks for the reply

Old 12-28-18, 04:39 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Are you asking how to wire in a relay or are you asking how to source/find an appropriate relay?

Old 12-28-18, 04:44 AM
C
HI
I already have the relay, 12 volt 5 pin, how to wire this relay with the wires shown to make it work, existing wires are listed
thanks lot
bob

Old 12-28-18, 04:48 AM
C
will upload the actual wiring diagram if you think that would be best?
1999-softail-lights-wiring.pdf

Old 12-28-18, 04:53 AM
C
BTw one relay for each side
thanks
bob

Old 12-28-18, 05:35 AM
B
Received 292 Upvotes on 259 Posts
Is this what you want? A front lamp (turn signal lamp) that is always on unless it is being used as a turn signal lamp at which time it will blink with the rear turn signal lamp on the same side. When that side turn signal is cancelled, this front lamp will return to on. Currently, how is the turn signal cancelled and is this condition available electrically?

Old 12-28-18, 12:17 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 112 Upvotes on 97 Posts
not sure exactly what your doing would think the lights should already be hooked up like that unless your adding additional lighting I would think just switching the socket out to double filament bulbs would be the easier way to go no need for a relay then as you have 2 filaments one will be brighter for the turn signal.
but your original schematic seems like your using the pulsed signal to turn on and off a relay there for causing it to flash atleast in theory, but did you hook it up from the switch witch probably is not pulsed until after the turn signal module witch would explain why they wasn't working another possibility is you've changed the load affecting the module it usually does not take much to affect the pulse of the turn signals more or less load could be affecting it.
first would make sure the module is capable of flashing the additional load if it is would try to use 87 on the relay and have the relay on all the time so you would have to hook the turn signal wire up from the switch before the module using the w/v an w/bn .

Old 12-28-18, 01:44 PM
C
the lights are signal lamps only, the schematic shows that, there is only one filament, it has been done by others but as I said cant figure the wiring, in the original schematic there is no additional relay, adding one in,
as hooking it up I used the wiring after the signal relay flasher, before the light, {brown}

: " quote"
first would make sure the module is capable of flashing the additional load if it is would try to use 87 on the relay and have the relay on all the time so you would have to hook the turn signal wire up from the switch before the module using the w/v an w/bn .

BTW there is a module that does this but of course it is $85 dollars!

good idea will try that , that is really important, ok that is a great start
thanks for your input
appreciate it!
thanks
bob

Old 12-28-18, 01:48 PM
C
well on my Harley the turn signal in the rear is only one filament, so there is no access for running light?
the idea is to change it to a running light / signal light using one filament? And using a relay..
thanks a lot
bob

Old 12-28-18, 01:59 PM
C
Also the front lamp has 2 filaments the rear light only one..

Old 12-28-18, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
You said the front directional lamps have 2 filament bulbs.
Are they also connected with three wires.... black, brown and beige wires ?

Old 12-28-18, 06:21 PM
C
Smile wiring

yes front signal lights have 2 filaments bulbs running light and turn signal, looking at the schematics it seems using the same wiring for front and back?
Good point
only wiring I accessed was for the back signals after the signal module, I think
thanks
bob
thanks

Old 12-28-18, 06:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Ok...... you want the back two lights to be combination running/directionals. Nothing to be done in the front. In the schematic it shows a running lamp ciruit in the tail light with a dual filament bulb there. Is that correct ?

Old 12-28-18, 07:36 PM
C
Ok...... you want the back two lights to be combination running/directional s. Nothing to be done in the front. In the schematic it shows a running lamp circuit in the tail light with a dual filament bulb there. Is that correct ?

yes dual filament there,
going to try to access wht/brn wire, from turn signal switch before signal module to trigger relay, wht/brn wire enters then turns into brwn leaving module, will up date {right side}

what do you think?

Old 12-29-18, 02:22 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 112 Upvotes on 97 Posts
30 should be going to the bulb your are trying to get to work in both turn signal and tail lamps,
86 should go to the w/bn coming from the right switch to the turn signal module
87 will go to the bn wire that runs from turn signal module to right signal lamps
87a will run to the be wire witch runs from the lights fuse to tail light and front park lights.
85 ground, 85 and 86 could be swapped really doesn't matter.
I think that will get your right side done if it works repeat for the left side.

Old 12-29-18, 02:32 AM
C
thank you very much
however to get to the wht/brn I have to pull the tank becasue it is under the tank so will have to do it anther time, will save the instructions and appreciate it very much
I searched for the wht/brn wire and it is under the tank where the signal module is so it is not something I can do right now, but plan to pull the tank later
thanks again
bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question