99 club car ds problems

Old 01-22-19, 12:29 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
99 club car ds problems

Hello, i have a 99 club car ds that is running much slower than it should and dies after an hour or two. It used to last for two days on a charge. I have checked the batteries, good on a load tester and specific gravity and all wires are good and have good connections.. Mcor has been replaced, f and r is brand new (installed 2 months ago). Solenoid is good. Im not sure where to go from here.

Old 01-22-19, 02:08 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
How old are the batteries? Without knowing more I'd say it's about time to replace them if you can't drive as far as you want on a charge.

Old 01-22-19, 02:32 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Im new to this. If they test as good, they could still be bad?

Old 01-22-19, 03:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
There's only two ways to check a battery...... specific gravity with an acid tester or testing under load. There's a good chance that there is one weak cell in the system and that is all it takes to render the entire battery pack a poor performer since all the cells are in a series loop. Each cell is two volts. There are three cells in a 6v battery.

Old 01-22-19, 03:54 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Again, how old are the batteries?

Almost any battery can test good after charging. Drive it a couple miles and repeat the testing. Good batteries may test showing 75% charge remaining while old batteries might show only 25% or less remaining even though both were fully charged before the initial testing. A simple test is to watch the bank's voltage when driving. If it's good before you started but rapidly tanks when driving or climbing a hill... it's a good sign you need batteries.

There's a lot that can affect the result of testing. How were the batteries tested specifically? How long did you wait after charging before testing? Was the whole bank checked as a unit or were the batteries disconnected so each could be tested individually? What were the gravity readings? What should the gravity be for your brand and model batteries? What temp were the batteries when testing?

Unless your bank of batteries is quite new I would NOT try replacing just one. They all work together and really should be replaced together.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question