Changing clutches on my motorcycle, which gaskets?

Old 06-15-19, 05:06 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Changing clutches on my motorcycle, which gaskets?

I have a 69 Harley Sportser that needs clutches and have 2 options on the primary cover gaskets, a $5 paper gasket or a $40 foamet gasket. I'll probably have to use gasket sealant on both but was wondering what made the foamet gasket so expensive and if it worth the money. I found both gaskets on the JP Cycle site..

Old 06-15-19, 05:33 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Not with what you have, but with old tractors and whatnot I've run into similar things, and that's a tough one. My first thought is that there is likely an advantage of the foam over paper, but finding out what it is might be hard to chase down unless you found someone who has been down that road already. I would start by calling their customer service line, and if I didn't get a satisfactory answer there would call or preferably stop by a local HD shop and ask their service manager if they can help you. It's not my nature to buy a bunch of parts for something online and then pester a local dealer to help me through it, so not advocating anything like that, but, with something like this, particularly being a vintage machine, I suspect that they would be more than happy to share what they know with you. It's not like you're asking them to virtually fix it for you, but you're asking for their experience in regard to something that maybe someone came up with a fix to an inherent design flaw or whatever.

Old 06-15-19, 05:21 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ok thanks, I'll call around and see what I can find out. I'll keep you post for future reference..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question