Right bike? Training class bike?

Old 09-13-19, 08:00 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Right bike? Training class bike?

Although I rode when I was young, that was DECADES ago. I am finally getting my Motorcycle license and a bike. Two questions - One bike I am looking at is a 2007 Honda CB 250. So 1) As I am a big guy (6-2 and heavy), will this 250 be too small for me (physically or power wise) - I don't want to buy something too big to handle now but I also don't want to have to buy another bike in a year when I have more experience. All I want to do is trail around the back roads on nice days. 2) Also, this bike was used in a training class, very low miles (2k), but was driven by people who didn't know how to ride (but at a great price). Should I stay away from it because it was used in a training class? Finally, any comments about Honda CB 250's?

Old 09-13-19, 08:53 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
A 250 is a pretty small bike by today's standards but if it's not going out on the open roads I guess it would be ok!

Couple years ago we had a pair of Honda Ruckus's (49cc) and we had a blast taking them all over the county on the dirt roads.

Used training bikes were probably used low speed so some spills vs heavy engine abuse.

Always owned Honda's, they are pretty tuff!

Old 09-13-19, 10:27 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
Given your size, I would say a 250 would be way too small for you to enjoy.
I had a 250cc cruiser when I first started riding and it was ok for me in town only, and I was lucky to break 130lb back then.

I would honestly suggest starting with a 600+ cc bike, probably a cruiser style. The reason for this suggestion is that the larger cruisers tend to have a lower center of gravity. It will also give you a bit more ability to keep up with town traffic and some hwy riding.
An under powered bike or too small physically can be harder to ride than a bit bigger bike.

Bud9051 voted this post useful.
Old 09-13-19, 11:36 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I'd go with Mike. Been a long time but I had 3 at the 250 size and even back then here in Maine getting in with traffic was not enjoyable. One I used in NJ for dirt riding and it rode the trails but under powered.

If you feel hesitant about a bigger bike that will only last a short time.

Bud

Old 09-13-19, 11:55 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Consistent with what has been said, I wouldn't be concerned by it having been a training bike, and in fact would guess that it quite likely saw lighter use that way than it may have in some individual hands. But a 250 sounds pretty small for you. And I don't know how many different bikes you rode in your younger years, but if any variety at all you already know that larger bikes aren't any harder to ride than smaller ones. In fact, having made a number of pretty long trips back in the day, I know for a fact that my 1100 was a whole lot more manageable at highway speeds and a whole lot more comfortable at any speed than my 400 was. Sure, the 11 was a lot heavier, but the only time that was a factor was getting it onto the center stand, otherwise, they're balanced and the weight of the bike was never a negative.

Old 09-13-19, 12:38 PM
N
Weight and balance is a huge factor to make the riding (learning and just riding) a lot easier. When comparing all the bikes I ride in a summer, I'd say mine and my dad's small bikes are far more difficult to drive then the big ones.
My dad's 1800cc Goldwing is as stable as sitting on the couch above 2mph.

My 79 GS750e (custom build) is an exception to this as its heavy, but not an beginner bike.

The issue with a small beater bike is you will be looking to upgrade within a month.

Old 09-13-19, 04:50 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
All I want to do is trail around the back roads
He's saying it's not going to be a road bike!

Old 09-14-19, 04:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
In many parts of the world the tuk tuk are powered by 125cc motorcycles. In the cities they routinely carry 4 passengers, 5 if you count the driver and in the country they are used like pickup trucks sometimes carrying thousands of pounds. So, on mostly level ground even a 125cc can tote quite a load if you flog it hard enough. In general though they top out at about 35 mph. Surprisingly the bikes seem to hold up pretty well under those heavy loads.

There are a few negatives to a 250 on the roads if you are a big guy. First, is how it will look. You might look a bit like you are riding a scooter as the CB250 is a smaller bike. Secondly will be the power. I'm sure it will get you up and going but you won't have stellar acceleration and might be all out trying to obtain highway speeds even on level ground. I would consider a 250 adequate up to about 45 mph. I'd look for a 500 if you want to ride comfortably in traffic in the US and especially if there are hills.

Old 09-16-19, 06:27 AM
N
Pilot is pretty accurate from what I remember of my years on my 250cc. I was good up to about 45MPH provided I was not dealing with large hills and the girlfriend on the back.

One suggestion I have is to do the driving course with the provided bikes, learn (drop) their bikes, then when done, you should be in a better position to purchase a more long term bike.

minimac voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question