Do "stay-at-home" orders apply to motorcycles?

Old 03-30-20, 05:02 PM
M
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Do "stay-at-home" orders apply to motorcycles?

So you can go out for exercise and fresh air and necessities (food, banking, medical) ... haven't seen whether motorcycle riding is considered fresh air? Would be helpful for me to go see my kid since that wouldn't be food, banking, or medical

Top Answer

03-30-20, 05:48 PM
SuperSquirrel
Received 32 Upvotes on 23 Posts
Stay-at-home orders are less about the means and more about the motivation. If you have to go get groceries, you can walk, drive, ride a motorcycle, or take a covered wagon. If you're going to go to a giant party, then no, you may not go, regardless of if you're going to walk, drive, ride a motorcycle, or take a covered wagon.

Start with the actual order: https://www.governor.virginia.gov/me...(COVID-19).pdf

It states the following: "All individuals in Virginia shall remain at their place of residence, except as provided below by this Order and Executive Order 53" ... "Individuals may leave their residences for the purpose of:" ... "Taking care of other individuals, animals, or visiting the home of a family member."

My interpretation (and I am not a lawyer) is that, if you are going to visit/check on family, you may do so, by car, motorcycle, covered wagon, autogyro, or whatever else.

Just going out for a "cruise" or a "joy ride," is probably more into a gray zone. But going to visit your family by motorcycle seems to be perfectly acceptable, as the order is written.

Old 03-30-20, 05:48 PM
S
Stay-at-home orders are less about the means and more about the motivation. If you have to go get groceries, you can walk, drive, ride a motorcycle, or take a covered wagon. If you're going to go to a giant party, then no, you may not go, regardless of if you're going to walk, drive, ride a motorcycle, or take a covered wagon.

Start with the actual order: https://www.governor.virginia.gov/me...(COVID-19).pdf

It states the following: "All individuals in Virginia shall remain at their place of residence, except as provided below by this Order and Executive Order 53" ... "Individuals may leave their residences for the purpose of:" ... "Taking care of other individuals, animals, or visiting the home of a family member."

My interpretation (and I am not a lawyer) is that, if you are going to visit/check on family, you may do so, by car, motorcycle, covered wagon, autogyro, or whatever else.

Just going out for a "cruise" or a "joy ride," is probably more into a gray zone. But going to visit your family by motorcycle seems to be perfectly acceptable, as the order is written.

Norm201, PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 03-30-20, 06:24 PM
M
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
This is excellent, I'll have this on my phone in case I get pulled over and since I'll be enroute from my home to the kids then it's an easy argument to make, thanks!

Old 03-30-20, 08:06 PM
S
Interestingly, I just read a clarification to our "stay at home" order, which states that "recreational boating is not an outdoor exercise activity." Now, that in and of itself could use some clarification. One could argue that power boating isn't much exercise, but what about kayaking? But I mention that, to mention this:

1) Our stay-at-home order was announced today, and has been in effect for only a few hours. People are asking questions about our order, and clarifications and guidance are being issued. The situation remains dynamic. Be prepared for possible changes to the order, and stay alert for updates and guidance from your government officials. They are the final authority on what is allowed or not allowed.

2) Different states may have phrased their orders differently. We, for example, are allowed to "care for" family, but not simply "visit" them for social reasons. If you cross state borders, the restrictions you encounter may be different.

Keep calm and carry on.

Old 03-31-20, 06:49 PM
L
Received 10 Upvotes on 10 Posts
It would be interesting to know if the authority vested in the Governor as cited constitutes a declaration of Martial Law or some other codified authority of the government.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question