New '82 Nighthawk 650 charging system not delivering power

Old 01-12-21, 03:04 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New '82 Nighthawk 650 charging system not delivering power

Just got a new rotor, stator and regulator and all have passed basic continuity tests(except regulator as I ain't going through all 20 steps yet unless necessary) but I'm not getting much voltage directly from the alternator(stator+rotor). Anyone familiar with bike charging systems?

https://youtu.be/VMW5i3J4kQQ

https://youtu.be/zVUzckMDZuE

Last edited by juntjoo; 01-12-21 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-12-21, 11:45 PM
A
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
do not know a lot about bike charging systems but your really not going to generate any voltage without the regulator hooked up, the regulator will apply a small amount of voltage to your rotor and cause a magnetic field and this is what will cause the stator to start producing a/c current witch then goes back to the regulator and gets converted back to dc and eventually goes back through a main fuse and back to the battery.
usually a regulator also needs to be grounded to the frame also to function, so it may not work unless its actually installed or you may need to run a ground wire to it to get it to work without installing it.
would probably put it all back together and start testing battery voltage then work your way back I assume you had some sort of a problem to buy all those parts.

Old 01-13-21, 12:54 AM
J
Thanks. I've always had charging problems til the point it wasn't charging the battery at all. I didn't think about the regulator needing to be grounded as you suggested.

I do know, at least according to people with experience with these bikes that you don't need the regulator connected to test for AC voltage from the stator directly but I should point out I broke one of the stator brushes which I just used dialectic grease to hold in place while installing the stator which may be a problem. I checked the continuity through both the wires to the brushes and the good one is 1 ohm where the broken one is 3 ohms.

I've got some conductive glue and a new set of brushes coming in the mail. If the glue don't work we'll see if the new brushes fixes things.

Will report back in a couple days

Old 01-13-21, 02:58 AM
A
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
looks like it should have 1 battery voltage wire and 1 key on voltage wire and 1 ground at the 3 pin connector on the voltage regulator would check all those for a starting point if your missing any of those you may have to trace your wiring and find out whats wrong.
to generate voltage you need a magnetic field and in the case of most alternators its usually an electrical induced magnetic field witch needs voltage flowing through the brushes to the rotor coils there is probably some bikes that use permanent magnets that would produce a/c voltage though just not sure yours is one of them, would check voltage between any 2 of the yellow wires coming from the stator this should be where you should get an a/c current reading.

Old 01-16-21, 05:34 AM
J
Okay, so I have a new rotor, stator, regulator and brushes in there but I have continuity to ground to all wires to my stator which supposedly isn't good right? It means something is touching something it shouldn't right? I got a few ohms each wire meaning there's a connection to ground right? What is supposed to be separate? What parts? The copper wire shouldn't touch anything right? I don't think I shmooshed it up against anything. What about the copper winding itself? I put a light mallet to the top to press it in the case. Oops? What happens if you flatten them a bit? I did pay $10 for one of those square trade things , but hopefully I didn't wreck anything. Any ideas? I don't know how I will take it out if I have to.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question