Kawasaki KLX140L engine won't turn over with working starter

Old 05-02-21, 06:25 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kawasaki KLX140L engine won't turn over with working starter

Hey all, my 2012 Kawasaki KLX140L won't start. The starter motor will spin just fine, but the engine won't turn over. At first I just assumed the starter motor little gear on the end was just worn, without doing much diagnosis. So I purchased a new starter and replaced it. Same problem.

Upon further inspection, the starter motor is spinning the idler gear set just fine. I removed the cover and spun the starter while pressing against the larger gear to keep it in the cavity. It spins with the starter.

So then it must be the gear behind that, that disappears into the case. I put a "??" on my photo of this gear. I can spin it with my fingers easily...it will spin both directions, but sometimes gets hung up when trying to spin it clockwise, if I recall. What is this gear and is this normal?

Is this a common issue I might be having? I'm unable to search out anything with my symptoms. What might be my next steps at diagnosing?

Thanks for any help,

Old 05-02-21, 07:12 PM
A
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
is there a one way starter clutch bearing in the idler gear? possible may have bad bearing should lock up the gears in one direction and free spin the other.
not really familiar with the bike but do see a one way starter clutch bearing listed for that model.

Gunn voted this post useful.
Old 05-06-21, 06:32 PM
G
Thanks for the info. In the gearset that I am holding onto, there is no bearing...it's a solid set. But maybe in that other gear I have the arrow pointing to?

Old 05-06-21, 06:41 PM
G
but do see a one way starter clutch bearing listed for that model
Can you tell me where you found the info on the on way starter clutch bearing? I can't seem to find anything. But I did run across another post (https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic...wheel-removal/) that mentioned a similar thing that had failed, but not much info there either.

This parts diagram doesn't show anything... (https://www.kawasakipartswarehouse.c.../starter-motor)

Thanks,

Old 05-07-21, 02:05 AM
A
would be clutch assembly one way, reference number 13193 .

Old 05-13-21, 09:13 AM
G
Thanks for the info, I'll look it up. I did mess with that gear I marked with ?? and:

It will spin counterclockwise with my finger
It will NOT spin clockwise, as seen from the left side of the motorcycle.

So that may mean this one-way bearing is OK.

Here is a photo of the idler gear...maybe the smaller teeth that mesh with the one-way gear are worn? Can't quite say as I've never seen one new...what do you think?

Thanks again,

Tom

Old 05-13-21, 11:12 AM
A
Dont really see much wear on the gear itself you just probably need to tear it down further inspect parts for wear doing a finger test is not really that accurate as your really not applying near as much torque as a starter would but seems most dirt bikes have these one way bearings and they do fail.
You may need a special tool to pull the stator off but looks like the one way bearing and pullers are available on ebay if you want a cheaper option but would make sure they specify your model.
Would still check the gear where the bearing locks up as it may have wear and need replaced.

Gunn voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question