Sears Craftsman Tractor Model#917.271920

Old 06-05-21, 04:53 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sears Craftsman Tractor Model#917.271920

I inherited a Sears Craftsman Tractor Model#917.271920 and need to replace the Oil Cap as it is cracked and spewing oil on my lawn. This model does not have an Oil Filter but rather a screw on cap. I was told that this part is no longer manufactured but am hoping someone can tell me where they might be found. I know I can replace it with a screw in nipple that a regular oil filter can attach to but I am trying to stay with original parts.

Old 06-06-21, 06:44 AM
A
Received 72 Votes on 65 Posts
Welcome. I'm not following how the filter matters, and was at first thinking that you were referring to the oil fill cap, but after reading your post again am thinking you are referring to the plastic valve at the end of the oil drain hose? Either way, I don't know about no longer available, but am not surprised that it's no longer available through Sears, so would check with some local or online small engine parts dealers for parts for the engine itself, not the entire unit. For as original as possible I would start with getting the make and model off the engine, the former which should be clearly labeled on the engine and the latter which will be labeled stamped someplace on the engine, often on the fan housing. As far as originality though, I get it because I try to keep things as original as possible myself, but, particularly since I am not a fan of most of those cheap drain valves, I would have no reservations in replacing it with a pipe nipple and cap. Ideally you use a right length nipple that makes it easy to get a drain pan under without sticking out to a point where it could catch something you're mowing around.

Old 06-06-21, 06:51 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you. The make and model of the engine was luckily on a sticker under the tractor seat. I will check the small engine dealers local and online. Failing there, I will just purchase the threaded pipe nipple and the standard oil filter as a fix. The cap was located on the left side of the engine and was all one piece and screwed into where a normal oil filter would screw on. I am not sure of the reason for that design. My little brother said just to buy another tractor but I would rather fix this one myself. Sometimes the old things are the best and are usually easier to fix than the new stuff. I have many friends with their new toys in the shop because the fix just overwhelmed them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question