EZGO MPT 1000 charger issue?

Old 09-22-22, 03:53 PM
B
Received 5 Votes on 2 Posts
EZGO MPT 1000 charger issue?

Cart is a 48v system. Current charger is an ancient Lestronic II 48v charger. We had a tech come out as we've had issue with the controller throwing codes and the cart being sluggish. The batteries showed 47v dc. He said if we pop it on the charger the voltage should kick up. Doing so did nothing. I asked him to test the leads of the charger and it wasn't getting any voltage. He thought the charger is bad.

I thought perhaps the relay does not click On in the charger to put out voltage till connected to the system?

So he may not have tested the charger accurately, however there was not change in voltage when hooking up the charger and the DC amperes didn't spike much on the charger. I heard the relay click to turn the charger on and there was no change in the system voltage on the batteries.

So, is there a way to determine the charger is bad?

Old 09-23-22, 05:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,564 Votes on 1,406 Posts
So, is there a way to determine the charger is bad?
You are correct. With many chargers you can't just test at the end of the charging cable. It works with some chargers but many need to see at least 20-30 volts to let the charger know it's connected before it starts charging.

Get a multi meter. Measure the battery buss voltage without the charger. You said is about 47 volts. Connect the charger and turn it on. Then measure the battery buss voltage again. You should see about 57-58 volts if the charger is working. If the carts voltage remains at 47 then there is something wrong in the charging circuit.

The problem can be in the wiring of the cart all the way through to the charger. Remember, if the charger can't see battery voltage it may not switch into charging mode. So, a poor or broken connection in the cart, say at the charging plug, can cause it to not charge just as much as a bad charger.

Old 09-23-22, 10:57 AM
B
Yeah the test was done on the battery leads with and without the charger
and the voltage stayed the same.

The amp meter on the charger does raise ever so slightly so it seems like the charger is turning on. With that said, itís possible in that scenario the charger is seeing the batteries and is trying to charge but itís capacity to do so is diminished.

Old 09-23-22, 03:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,957 Votes on 2,668 Posts
I thought perhaps the relay does not click On in the charger to put out voltage till connected to the system?
If the relay does not click when connecting to the batteries..... it is not turning on and charging.

Check the voltage right at the socket on the vehicle where the charger connects.
If you have better than 30vDC there that would indicate a problem with the charger.

I'm pretty familiar with that charger as it is a workhorse and is used on Genie lifts.
I have the service manual but servicing involves electronic knowledge.

Old 09-25-22, 02:56 PM
B
The relay does click On when the charger is connected. The amps put out as displayed on the meter is low.

Iíll test tomorrow as you said.

Old 09-25-22, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,957 Votes on 2,668 Posts
No need to check.... if the charger clicks.... it's turning on. That means it is detecting better than 30v from the battery pack. You said the pack showed 47v and didn't go up when the charge is connected.... that would indicate a defective charger. It's acknowledging the connection but is not putting anything out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question