Blown tire

Old 07-16-02, 12:08 AM
Blown tire

I have a street bike and have always wondered if a tire were to blow which one would be the hardest to control(the front or back)I've blown out my back tire a couple of times and have not laid it down although the back end wanted to fishtail alot i kept it under control.Most people tell me the front is the worst although a mechanic from a motorcycle shop once told me it's the back because that's where the most weight is.The reason i'm asking is i've changed my back tire now but haven't changed the front because i figured it would last longer. Any opinipon's?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-02, 05:47 AM
Group Moderator
Front tire, no question; same is true, in my never-to-be-humble opinion, on cars. There may be more weight on the rear, but which would you rather have fishtailing a couple of feet side-to-side - your butt or the handlebars.

Old 07-16-02, 12:49 PM
telco tech
Visiting Guest
Front tire, no question. If your changing your tires and there is even a question about the front tire, Change it! Its all you've got between you and and the pavement, and the big truck hauling chickens on the same pavement right behind you. Be safe....

Old 07-16-02, 07:50 PM
My front tire went flat on my harley at 10 mph unexpectedly.The bike laid on me for a 1/2 hour.Nuff said?

Old 07-16-02, 10:05 PM
I was hoping some people would get on with their experience's of blowing front tire's since i've never talked to anyone that's had it happen to them.Wow,only 10mph.I could see what would happen to me on my" Virago" going up the highway at between 60-70mph!

Old 07-17-02, 07:46 PM
At 60-70 you would most likely be road kill,I limped for 6 to 8 months after my front tire fiasco.I also knew a guy who went down at 35 mph,front tire again,he was wearing leather gauntlet gloves and a long sleeved leather jacket but he has a major scar on his arm,burned through all the leather.Yes he still rides also,haven't seen him lately,maybe he is on a long ride.

Old 07-25-02, 03:50 AM
TooTall
Visiting Guest
I had a tranny/chain lock-up at 50mph and it was a real thrill. I somehow managed to stay on top of it, but it was not easy. Longest skid mark I ever left (not to mention the one in my shorts!).

TT