meat smokers

Old 04-07-06, 09:55 AM
meat smokers

I am heading up to a northern fly-in fishing lodge, so i cant bring a smoker with me. Any suggestions on how to smoke about 6 whole pork loins at a time? I have a BBQ to use..Need help fast!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-06, 10:08 AM
laser2, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
I assume the BBQ is large since it will be holding 6 loins. Only thing I can think of is to divide the fire side from the meat side. I have done this with heavy aluminum foil. All you are trying to do is keep the fire from cooking the meat before it is smoked. I have done turkeys this way by building the fire on one side of the grill and placing the turkey on the other side divided by a foil wall. Leave some space at the top of the foil for the smoke to circulate. Good luck.

Old 04-07-06, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up You're making me hungry thinking about this!

majak's idea sounds pretty good but I don't know if you will be able to fit six into a bbq if they are large.

If you try I would suggest that you bring along a good digital meat thermometer because it will be a challange to get the meat to cook evenly.
Moving the pieces around might help.
If you make smoke packets by wrapping a fistfull of damp shavings in foil will allow you to put these right on the coals. Just poke enough holes in the foil to prevent full combustion.
Also, make sure that there will be a species of wood that is good for smoking where you are going otherwise a couple of bags of shavings don't take up much weight.

All I can think of.

Old 04-07-06, 09:34 PM
Sounds good. Yeah, I was kinda worried about the size of the BBQ, I obviously want to do it all in one shot. Any ideas of something that could quickly and easily be built, disassembled and flown there? I was hoping maybe there would be an oil drum there...doubtful.

Old 04-08-06, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator
Not the same as fresh cooked but how about pre-cooking them or even smoke them and finish cooking in the bbq?
In my scouting days we use to pre-cook foods untill they were a bit underdone.
Finishing them off at camp tasted better than fully cooked and warmed up.