Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Recreational Outdoor Activities > Outdoor Cooking and Barbecuing
Reload this Page >

new natural gas grill doesn't get hotter than 500 degrees

new natural gas grill doesn't get hotter than 500 degrees

Old 06-01-08, 09:46 AM
Angry new natural gas grill doesn't get hotter than 500 degrees

Can anyone help? I hooked up a new "perfect flame", natural gas grill to my home gas line with 1/2 pipe. There is apprx. 14 feet of pipe from where I tapped in to the grill. It takes about 20 minutes for the grill to reach 500 degrees and it doesn't get any hotter, no matter how long I leave it on. I checked the flame, it is blue, no yellow. Any suggestions?????

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-08, 11:55 AM
Here's a previous discussion: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=169812

Sometimes gas pressure may be below standard for the grill. It may be possible to adjust orifice to compensate. It's best to have a pro measure the gas pressure before further diagnosing the problem.

Old 06-01-08, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator
Also, how are you measuring the temp? The thermometers installed in grilles aren't very accurate as a rule. If thats what yer using, try an oven thermometer or a non- contact infared unit.

Old 06-01-08, 01:25 PM
Thanks for advice. Is it possible that 1/2 inch pipe is too small, I tapped into line coming out of our wash room, with washer and dryer......would using larger diameter help?

Old 06-01-08, 03:56 PM
1/2" should be correct size for the distance you are running. Again, it may be the pressure.