building an outdoor kitchen

Old 01-14-10, 08:27 PM
building an outdoor kitchen

I want to build a steel frame outdoor kitchen. Do I make the frame with supports at 16 inches or does it matter?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-10, 04:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Why steel? Remember "outdoors" means moisture means rust means boo boo.
Why not go ahead and use a block or concrete foundation, then pressure treated framing, covered with concrete backer underlayment and tile on that. We do it a lot here. Will it be covered, closed in, etc?

Old 01-20-10, 07:08 PM
building it in arizona. little rain. I think framing it with steel studs and using hardy backer will be easier. just don't know how to frame it.

Old 01-21-10, 03:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Oh, OK, steel "studs", I can see it. I was thinking of a welded steel frame that would be a bear to build. Start with the steel channel to put the studs in (top and bottom), use 1/2" self drilling screws. It's up to you as to the design of the kitchen. 16" oc would be a minimum on the steel studs. You could, then, install one stud at the intersection of the cbu (which is 3' x 5'), and screw the cbu to the steel studs. After that, thinset and tape the joints and install tile or rock at your desire. I would do a combination of rock on the side with a tile top. Let us know if you need more help or if this was no help at all.