How To Make a Smoker Bag for Oven

Old 03-14-10, 06:06 PM
How To Make a Smoker Bag for Oven

I bought some of these bags on clearance a few years ago for $1.25 a bag. If I'd had known what they really were and how well they work I would have bought them all!
They are kinda pricey now and I'm wanting to know if anyone has figured out how to make these smoker bags at home. There has got to be a way.
Thank you.

Savu Smoker Bag for the Oven & Grill in Alder, 3 Pack: Amazon.com: Gourmet Food

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-10, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
I guess no one knows.

I had never heard of these and can't really see how they work based on the maker's description.
Does the wood inside the bag actually smolder to generate smoke?

Old 03-25-10, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
From the site
The SAVU Smoker Bag is a fabulous product patented by a Finnish company. The bags are made of foil and contain natural wood chips and sugar.
So why not make a bag out of heavy duty aluminum foil. Then buy a bag of wood chips and soak those in sugar water. Place the the chips in a small aluminum foil bag. Punch holes in bag of chips. Place food and chips in bag and seal.

This is all guess but you could experiment. Never having seen the bags there are some details I must guess at. I'm guessing the chips aren't loose. I don't know the purpose of the sugar or if the chips actually have the sugar soaked in. Are the chips used damp or dry? Having seen and used the bag you can make those and other guesses better then I can.

Old 03-25-10, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator
Ya, these things look like a mystery to me.

I use wood chip packs whenever I smoke in the grill instead of the smoker.
I wrap a handful of wood chips in foil, poke a couple of holes in the top and lay on the burner of the grill.

The picture shows the cooked food inside a foil wrapper.
Are the chips underneath the food?

Images courtesy of amazon.com

Old 03-25-10, 07:14 PM
Group Moderator
Here is a site that offers them for $2.99 if you buy 15 or more. I didn't check shipping. I actually found at least two other sources with just a quick Google. Smoker Bags, Hot Diggity Cajun (Realm Enterprises, Inc.)

Also see: Smoke `Em if You Got `Em - Nashville Restaurants and Dining - Nashville Scene - Bites
The bags look like a padded mailing envelope made out of thick foil. Closer examination showed that the bags are actually made out of three layers of foil. The heavy outer cover provides insulation that allows Smoker Bags to be used in either an oven or on an outdoor grill, if you're one of the lucky ones that gets to use one. They should not come into direct contact with open flames, though. That could get messy.

Between the outer and second layer, there is a mixture of tiny wood chips, either hickory or alder, and a hardwood syrup and crystal sugar mixture to add a smoky sweetness to whatever you place in the bag. The third layer of foil is microperforated to allow smoke to flow through around the contained food without allowing moisture to escape the food and put out the smoldering chips. It's kind of like Gore-Tex for food.

Old 03-26-10, 03:05 PM
There is no actual smoke. Just the smoke aroma and flavor in the meat.
I did find them! I went to their website and dug around. Hyvee sells them here in KC. I called and they did have them. The guy on the phone had to hunt for them as he didn't know what they were nor did he know they had them.
They were $3.49 each so I bought 6 and cooked chicken in one.
I've cooked ribs in them before and they are delicious.
They have a good amount of room in them and are about the size of a cake pan. What is that (I forget) - 9'x11"?
I tore one open and it I can't figure out what all is in the layer of foil. Looks like something grainy and kinda woody.

Old 03-26-10, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator
Hmm, big mystery!

I wonder if they have pre-charred wood and when the juices runs down the steam has a smokey odor?
In order for smoke to be created you have to char wood to near it's ignition temp which would likely burn the food.

Did you cut one open before you used it?
When I'm too lazy to bbq I add a lot of liquid smoke to my marinade and it gets a pretty fair smoke flavor when baked in the oven.

Old 03-27-10, 01:11 AM
I cut the bag open after I used it (didn't want to waste a bag.)
I add liquid smoke to some of my meats too. It does a pretty good job.