Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Recreational Outdoor Activities > Outdoor Cooking and Barbecuing
Reload this Page > Connecting House Propane Line to Vermont Castings Grill

Connecting House Propane Line to Vermont Castings Grill

Old 06-14-11, 01:04 PM
Connecting House Propane Line to Vermont Castings Grill

Hi,

I bought a hose to connect to my outdoor Vermont Castings Grill. However, I can't get the existing hose off to take it to Home Depot to get the right fitting for the new hose. Can someone recommend the best way to get the existing hose off? Below is a pic with the hose end circled in red. I tried with all my might and couldn't get it off so perhaps I'm not using a big enough wrench or the hose detaches in a different way? Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-11, 08:20 PM
Some connections for propane use left-hand threads. Have you tried both directions to loosen this connection?

Old 06-15-11, 07:38 AM
Oh geez. I didn't try that. Will have to try that as soon as I get a chance and report back. Thanks!

Old 06-15-11, 04:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Be sure to put a wrench on the square part in the top of your circle with opposite pressure than you are using on the nut. Otherwise you will have a frowny day when it snaps off. That should be left hand thread, but one can never tell in the gas business. If it is right hand, you will need to replicate it with your new hose end, just so you are aware.

Old 06-15-11, 04:23 PM
Thanks Chandler. That's very good information. Gonna try to get to this tonight after work.

Old 06-21-11, 03:37 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I went back to the grill this weekend and ended up taking the entire front part of the grill cover off (the piece that houses the left, center and right knobs) so I could get at the connecting hose. I found a few things out:

1. The piece that actually comes off is the hexagon shaped gold colored piece. When that came off, I was left with this piece:

Also, the existing BBQ hose came off lefty loosey so it was right threaded.

2. I then took the existing hose and the new hose I bought at BBQ Galore to Home Depot and got a male to male connector for the new hose and then a female to female connector to attach the male connector to the BBQ. Once I connected all the pieces, I turned on the gas line and lit up the grill just fine. I'm 100% done with buying portable propane. Thanks all for the replies.

Old 07-24-11, 05:26 PM
I hope you also installed a regulator.

fred

Old 07-24-11, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator
I also hope you took out a permit.
To be in force your home insurance requires it.

Old 09-20-11, 01:53 PM
Yes. My contractor had a permit and regulator. I just installed the line.

Search this Thread