Engine Question

Old 07-26-02, 05:26 AM
Rheitz
Visiting Guest
Question Brigs 5hp motor

I recently got an old chipper shredder witha 5hp Brigs motor. It dosn't look like it was run for a long long:time. My initial inspection I found the govener linkage frozen( I got that loose). There's compression and I got spark. My question is: On the magneto I found a loose wire-one is for the spark plug naturally , the other is just hanging there. Isn't this just a ground? I'm sure I'll have other questions as I go along. I've got the motor info -5hp 4cycle Mod.#13020-type-0015-02-ser#c150555-Thanks for any help-Ronconfused:

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-02, 11:27 AM
telco tech
Visiting Guest
I believe your looking at the "kill" wire, ground that wire and it will suppress the spark to the plug, killing/stopping the engine. Normally it runs to the "kill switch".

Old 07-26-02, 06:07 PM
Rheitz
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up 5hp brigs

Thanks Telco tech , I worked on it today and was in for a bad supprise. I had to open the gas cap with a pliers and found old gas that was so brown and stank like old linseed oil. I took the tank off and found the inside rusted and a gum like sediment. I am going to get a rebuild carb kit and see what happens. Let you know of what happens . thanks -Ron There's a kill piece of metal next to the spark plug.

Old 07-29-02, 10:25 PM
telco tech
Visiting Guest
Kill tab above the spark plug wire is common, also the same magneto is used in many engines, so the wire may be redundant and not needed. I had and gas tank like yours once, and after removing the carb to rebuild, I used "liquid drano" drain cleaner to clean out the fuel tank. Drain ALL of the fuel (important), pour in the cleaner, shake it around and let it set, hour or 2, drain and repeat unitil gunk/rust is cleaned out. Wear rubber gloves and goggles when messing with this stuff, it doesn't play around. Good luck...

Old 07-30-02, 09:21 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You can also take the tank to an auto radiator shop. They boil out auto tanks and can probably do the same for your machine's tank. It will be spotless when they are done .

Old 07-31-02, 09:20 AM
Rheitz
Visiting Guest
5hp brigs

Thanks everyone for your help' I took the gas tank off (I wish I would have known about the other methods of cleaning the tank), I used gum out and put ball bearings and stones in the tank and kept shaking and shaking. When I first started I stuck a piece of plastic molding that I cut down and scraped around the interior. I had a 1/4" of gum on the bottom. I didn't think I would get it clean-but I did. I got a kit for the carb and rebuilt it(the carb fit on top of the tank) ,and that also was gummed up. I put it back together and put a little gas in the spark plug hole and pulled. On the first pull it sputtered''',I was shocked, On the third try it fired'. I only need a air cleaner filter. and I'll give it a trial run.I'll let everyone know how it goes'-thanks-Ron

Old 07-31-02, 12:25 PM
telco tech
Visiting Guest
Ball bearings and rocks, that pretty resourceful. I have to remember that one. Glad you got it going.