Riding mower engine

Old 07-27-02, 02:49 PM
Jishryal
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Riding mower engine

I have a 12HP Briggs&Stratton engine. It is about 12 years old.
It wouldn't run the last time I tried to use it. Thinking it was the Carb I bought a rebuild kit. Before trying it I decided to change the oil. When I opened the plug I was greeted with a large flow of oil and gas. So what would that mean? A new replacement motor is around $400.00 without gas tank and muffler. Have not checked in my area to get estimate of cost to rebuild motor. Hoping other people here have seen this before and could tell me what route to take as far as rebuilding or replacing motor.

Thank You..................................Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-02, 04:57 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello Jishryal, this problem is almost always caused by a carb float that isn't working. If the engine hasn't been run with gas in the oil no damage has probably been done. Check your float and make sure it stops the flow of fuel to the carb. Draining the oil and adding new should make it ready to start......Mike

Old 07-30-02, 01:29 PM
Jishryal
Visiting Guest
Thanks Mike

Ok, seeing gas come pouring out of the oil plug gave me visions of shelling out big bucks to replace an engine. Or, taking it in to a shop and giving them a blank check to charge me whatever they want. So I can't tell you how happy I am to get your advice and use it. Results? I drained the gas out in the morning and left the plug out. Put fresh oil in later in the day, crossed my fingers and toes and started it and....................................it ran!!!!!!!!!!!

It ran rough but it ran. Later I realized that two of the carb adjustments where not set so I played with them to try and get them at least close to where they were originally. Now that baby runs better than my car (a subject for another forum).

Thanks again Mike...........Great advice..............

Respectfully,

Jim

Old 07-30-02, 09:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You still need to rebuild your carb, as that is the reason the fuel got in there in the first place. The needle valve is not shutting the gas off completely, and it seeps into the engine while it is not being used.

Old 07-31-02, 11:34 AM
Jishryal
Visiting Guest
Your right

I'm sorry, I failed to mention that I did rebuild the carb before I found the gas mixed with the oil.

Thanks again..........................Jim

Old 08-09-02, 11:07 PM
Jim,
One good thing to do on these old Briggs engines is to buy an in-line fuel shut-off valve. You can buy it at a mower shop for <$5.00. When you shut down the engine, shut off the valve. Sooner or later the float valve will fail again. If you don't check your oil every time before you use the engine you might turn it into toast. It may save you major $$ in the future.