riding mower engine

Old 07-28-02, 02:47 PM
hankcam
Visiting Guest
riding mower engine

recently purchased a Snapper riding mower at yard sale. Had 6.75 Tecumsh engine. Engine would run but when full load put on (wheels and mower blade) would bog down and stall. Could not restart. Replaced engine with used Briggs 6.0 HP vertical shaft engine. Same thing - engine runs good but when load put on it runs about 2 minutes then dies. Will restart when carb is primed but dies shortly thereafter when load put on. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-02, 02:58 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Hankcam. Welcome to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

Since replacing the engine did not resolve the problem, the engine iasn't likely the cause.

If there is a remotely mounted fuel tank, the filter could be restricted and or the vent hole in the fuel tanks cap could be restricted and or clogged.

Other possibilities:
Could be binding parts that are revolving.
A defective gear box and or parts within it binding up.
Clutch problems, linkage and or transfer case drive axle problems.

Most likely I have not covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times for additional replies.

Read the other postings and replies offered on this topic in the RECENT postings & Archives, within this forum, for additional help & information on this topic.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask another question on this same topic, etc. Using the above method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Old 08-09-02, 11:13 PM
Six HP seems awfully small for a rider. I worked my way through ye old war skule repairing snappers. I don't recall a 6 or 6.5 hp on any riders even on the little 24" cut.
If it's the old disc drive, you should feel any problems in the drive by rotating the wheels by hand when the wheels are off of the ground. Likewise the blade should spin freely by hand (disconnect the spark plug) when it is not engaged. If these check out ok, you may want to try an 8 or 11 hp engine and see if you get better results.