Craftsman Chainsaw not starting

Old 07-29-02, 10:22 PM
MatthewNadeau
Visiting Guest
Craftsman Chainsaw not starting

I have a 1994 craftsman chainsaw (3.3, 20") that won't start. I have tried replacing the spark plug (I put in a CJ8 instead of the OEM CJ4), cleaned the air filter, replaced all oil and gas, and put in a new fuel filter. I've taken it apart to clean it up, and I want to see if there is anything else I can do before taking it to a shop. I've gotten it to start recently, but it died as soon as I let it idle.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-02, 07:33 AM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
Matthew - First of all I would remove and hold the spark plug wire (with insulated pliers) about 1/8" to 3/16" from a ground connection, and give the rope good yank (to see if you are getting fire). If you aren't then the ignition system is probably at fault. If the plug is getting fire, you may have a carburation problem. Of course, there are other possibilities also but you need to eliminate these two first.

Old 07-30-02, 09:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree. If you have spark, then put several drops of fuel down the carb throat while holding the throttle open. Then try to start it. If it runs for a second or two, then you have fuel related problems...either a fuel restriction in the lines, a cracked line, or a gummed up carburetor.