Engine Questions

Old 08-01-02, 10:06 AM
Briggs on a snapper push

OK, I inhereted a snapper push mower when i bought the house. I already replaced the pull start mechanism, head gasket, spark plug, gas, air filter and blade. I put new gas in and tried to no avail last night to start it. I do not have another 500 bucks to buy a new snapper and would like to get this one to run. When the lawnmower inspected it they said it may need a new carb. The carb looks OK. I will empty the gas tonight, and look at the internals to the carb and float but was wondering if you can get a carb rebuild kit for these small carbs. Also where is thebest place to get one. PLUS, it looks like a piece of throttle linkage is missing and replaced with a cheesy spring NOT allowing it to come back to idle (if it were to run). Any thoughts? Peace: e3 - spamman

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-02, 11:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What kind of engine, size, hp, model, make, etc..

Yes, rebuild kits are available, and easy to install. Very seldom is there a need for a brand new carb. Check to see if you have spark at the plug first. If so, then go to the fuel system. If not, then you have ignition problems.

Old 08-02-02, 06:21 AM
Cheese: Thanks man. I will get the mower info and post it this weekend. To check for spark, basically just remove the plug with it in the wire and hold it to the head and crank the motor, and look for a spark right? I have not done that in years. Peace: e3 - spamman

Old 08-02-02, 11:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You got it...just make sure the cylinder isn't flooded with gas before you crank it. If it blows out a bunch of gas and that spark plug fires...well, you know!

Old 08-03-02, 05:55 AM
Cheese: I got spark and that looks OK. I also removed the air filter and sprayed carb cleaner into the carb with the long nozzle and cranked it. The engine starts but dies out within 3 seconds. I believe it starts on the carb cleaner but uses it up and does not get any real gas mixture. I am going to assume the carb is gunked up or the float is not working. The engine is a:

model = 124802 type = 3210-1 briggs and stratton not sure the HP though. How much would a carb rebuild kit be? Also, it looks like it has 2 throttle plates. 1 is throttling the air from the filter and choke mechanism and the other I am not sure about. Its closer to the head and it has a linkage that runs along the engine somewhere. I have not removed it to inspect closer yet. If anyone had a picture breakdown it would be a huge help. Peace: e3 - spamman

Old 08-03-02, 08:27 AM
Cheese: I got the carb rebuilt kit nearby from the place that wante to charge me $300 to get the mower running at 65/hr. It was $7.75 for the rebuild kit. Wish me luck in the rebuild. They are small parts and my hands are big. Peace: e3 - spamman

Old 08-04-02, 10:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Make sure you clean the carb well inside, and make sure all the tiny passages are clear. It's not a hard job to do. Let us know how it goes!