Need info

Old 08-01-02, 06:27 PM
raysoh
Visiting Guest
Need info

I am a new teacher. teaching on small engines and repair. Does anyone have ideas of interesting things for classroom resources? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-02, 11:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Raysoh!

What ages are your students? Younger students, up to age 18 or so will take interest in go-carts and minibikes. Lawnmowers and lawn equipment is boring to a young person, and their attention will probably tend to wander. If you can borrow an alcohol-burning racing go-cart to use as instructional material, you will have their attention. The engines used are the same as the engines used on everyday lawn equipment, except they are modified.

Also, what one of my teaches did was aquire junk mowers, and bring them to the class and let us tear them down. As we did this, we identified the parts, explained their purpose, checked them, noted what was needed, and repaired them. This was low-cost fun hands on experience. It was rewarding to hear that engine run due to my handiwork. Local shops in my area saved the junk mowers and donated them for learning purposes. You may be able to get your local shops to donate the repair parts as well, or at least give the school a discount.

Do these suggestions fall in line with the answer you are looking for?

Old 08-05-02, 09:46 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Learning by "destruction" is the best way .

Cheese is 100%. This is definitely how I have learned to fix small engines . Probably a 1/3 of my equipment was junked by someone else. Lol. I have a couple of lawn mowers and snow blower/power shovels, etc to my credit that I use all the time that were fixed with nothing more than some time and TLC.

In that I mean, even if you take it apart and LEARN WHY it failed, you will be a better technician.

That's why you'll note most textbooks and repair manuals show failed parts. It is a good indication as to what is going on inside.

In most cities you'll find scrapped yard equipment at the curb. You can pick it up free of charge and go ahead and bring it in as a teardown analysis for the class. Make an incentive out of it. The guy/gal that gets it fixed gets no homework that night or something. Most garage sales also have great "opportunities" for projects like this. Many times you'll hear, "It ran last year, stopped running this year..not sure what's wrong with it". I recently came into a McCulloch blower this way. A little fuel and oil and a new spark plug and retorquing the head bolts and it runs like a champ.

Or, you can make small study groups and assign a "junker" to each one. Their job is to work together to find out what is wrong, recommend what needs to be repaired or replaced, and do a report to you (you being the "customer") as to what is wrong and what needs to be done. Include that they recommend to you that it be scrapped (cost analysis) if it has really bad internal failure.

Plenty of stuff out there, just need to organize it, find it and use it as a tool.

Good luck.