lawnmower

Old 08-02-02, 06:58 AM
maureen016
Visiting Guest
Talking lawnmower

have a 3.5hp mower that pushes all the oil out when trying to start it.what do i need to do?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-02, 08:01 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Maureen. Welcome to our Small Engine forum.

Chances are the oil level is too high. Recheck the level and be sure it's set correctly. Be sure the oil fill holes cap is correctly installed and or not missing entirely.

It's also possible the crankcase breather is restricted and or plugged up. The breather is a rectangular metal shaped device attached to the crankcase with two screws.

The breather can be removed and cleaned. Check the hose attached to it and be sure it's cleared out and attached to the carb.

The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times for additional replies.

Read the other postings and replies offered on this topic in the RECENT & ARCHIVES postings, within this forum, for additional help & information on this topic.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask another question on this same topic, etc. Using the above method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck,
Tom_B
Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Old 08-03-02, 05:21 AM
maureen016
Visiting Guest
lawnmower

tom thanks for your response.sorry i did not put more info in my first post,heres the info,it is a tecumseh,model#lv100-3350068.all the oil was pushed out, seems like it came out several places,all that was in oil well was gas.mower was used three times and sat in the weather for two years.head gasket seems to be shot as oil and gas came out there with what appears to be small particles of gasket.could the compression ring be shot from sitting so long?checked out what i thought all the simple solutions might be and had gas every where maybe i should have given this to a repair shop but love to take on new challenges.

Old 08-03-02, 05:58 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Maureen

Based on the additional info, if there is gasoline in the oil, the carb is gummed up, which will not allow the fuel to stop flowing into the carb. When this happens, the gasoline floods the engines crankcase.

To correct that problem, the carb must be removed, rebuilt with all new internal parts from a carb rebuilding kit, reinstalled and correctly adjusted. The carb problem most likely may be the only engine problem. It will have to be removed and serviced as mentioned above as a starting point in fixing the engine.

Most likely all the other engine problems do no really exist. Allowing an engine to not be used for 2 or more years will not necessarily damage the gaskets but will gum-up the fuel and oil.

To determine where the oil and gas actually come out, clean the entire engine and surrounding areas with a can of automotive engine cleaner per the instructions on the can. Doing so will allow a visual inspection of other potential damages and leakage problems & locations.

Regards & Good Luck,
Tom_B
Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.