Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

String Trimmer Engine Problem

Visiting Guest

08-03-02, 08:36 AM   #1  
chriskfla
Homelite string trimmer fuel problem

Hello, I have a 4 yr old Homelite String gas Trimmer (175) and it won't start. I replaced the spark plug, air filter, and the two black fuel tubes that go to the gas tank. I used new fuel and put a little in the sparkplug hole before starting it. It ran for about 2 seconds but that was all so I figure that the ignition system is OK.

I noticed that when I primed the fuel bulb I could not see any fuel going through it so I think that must be the problem. I took apart the wahler carb and not knowing what to look for I checked for dirt. THere was none so I put it all back together the way I found it. Inside the gas tank there is a fuel filter but I couldn't reach it. If it's clogged would that prevent fuel from getting into the primer bulb? Could that be the problem?

What else should I check? The repair shop is $50/hr with a 6 week wait so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

08-03-02, 09:39 AM   #2  
Hello and Welcome Chris to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

The engine problem is a fuel delivery problem. It may be any one of several possibilites.

Most likely it's a carb problem. May be gummed from stale fuel etc. If this is the case, the only real solution is a carb cleaning and overhaul installing new parts from a carb kit.

May also be no fuel flowing into the carb from the fuel tank. To verify this, remove the fuel hose from the carb and check the flow rate and volume. If there is a filter in the line or inside the tank, it may be restricted and or plugged up.

Most likely I have not covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times over the next several days for additional replies.

Read the other postings and replies offered on this topic in the RECENT & ARCHIVES postings, within this forum, for additional help & information on this topic of engines with running and or starting problems.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask another question on this same topic, etc. Using the above method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck,
Tom_B
Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Regards and Good Luck.
Web Site Admin, Moderator Hiring Agent, Host and Forums Manager. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician. Fast, Fair, Friendly and Highly Proficient...

Don't Take Freedom For Granted. Thank A Veteran. Need an Employee? Hire a Veteran

Not only is a mind a terrible thing to waste, it's like a parachute.

It doesn't function until it's OPEN.........

Elvis. "The Sun Never Sets On A Legend."

Gun safety is using BOTH hands!

Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread