Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Stalls & Dies

Visiting Guest

08-03-02, 07:23 PM   #1  
wily
briggs won't run

I have a 8 hp briggs model170402 it starts and runs for about 10 seconds and dies carb has been rebuilt valves have been refaced seated and adjusted has great compression and spark coil has been changed to solid state am loosing my mind any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus

CAL

08-04-02, 05:28 AM   #2  
Hello and Welcome Wily to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

If everything is correct with the prior repairs made, it's possible fuel is not flowing into the carb. Several possible reasons why not.

Most likely because the fuel line, filter and or any other part in the fuel delivery system is restricted. The fuel tanks cap may have a plugged and or blocked air vent hole.

Remove the fuel hose from the carb and check for fuel flow. It has to be free flowing and a full flow for 1 minute or so. Do this test with the fuel cap both on and off the tank.

Most likely I have not covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times over the next several days for additional replies.

In the mean time:
You need to read the other postings and replies offered on this same type of problem topic in the RECENT & ARCHIVES postings, within this forum, for additional help & information on this subject.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask another question on this same topic, etc. Using the above method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck,
Tom_B
Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Regards and Good Luck.
Web Site Admin, Moderator Hiring Agent, Host and Forums Manager. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician. Fast, Fair, Friendly and Highly Proficient...

Don't Take Freedom For Granted. Thank A Veteran. Need an Employee? Hire a Veteran

Not only is a mind a terrible thing to waste, it's like a parachute.

It doesn't function until it's OPEN.........

Elvis. "The Sun Never Sets On A Legend."

Gun safety is using BOTH hands!

Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Visiting Guest

08-04-02, 12:40 PM   #3  
wily
It has good fuel flow and I set the carb to specs had no luck have tried every thing from lean to the point of soaking the plug.i dont have a breather for the carb but would not think that would have that much to do with it thaught that maybe this coil has been rigged to engine and is throwing it out of time but not sure if this is possibale.thanks but no luck yet

Admin Emeritus

CAL

08-04-02, 04:17 PM   #4  
Hello: Wily

Next step is to determine if there is spark immediately after the engines dies. Simpliest method to use is to have an extra spark plug handy and ready.

As soon as the engine dies, pull of the spark plug wire and attach it to the uninstalled plug. Lay that plug down on the engine so the case of the spark plug touches the engine. Plug the starter or crank the engine and note if there is any spark.

No Spark? Ignition problem.
Got Spark? The problem lies else wheres.

Since 10 seconds isn't long enough to overheat an electronic sparking modual, it's possible the valves are adjusted too tightly.

Also very possible there still remains the fuel flow into and out of the carb problem, regardless of settings and prior overhaul. The question is what is the engine running like while it's running???

Too lean or too rich???

When you post back the ignition test results and the answer to the how is it running fuel question, we can determine what to elliminate as possible problems.

BTW: Is this engine a vertical or horizontal shaft engine?
<Guess I have been out of the shop too long>...

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator,
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company."
Small Engine Repairs and Diagnostics Service Technician.

Personal Quote:
"If it ain't currently broke, don't fix it, tinker with it or #@$$#!& with it or you may windup breaking it!"

Visiting Guest

08-04-02, 05:23 PM   #5  
wily
it is a horizontal engine it has spark after it dies valves ar set to specs.it runs rough no matter if it is full or no throttle no differance in speed either carb seems to be working can see fuel flow differance if i open needel valve to much i have changed the gas did not help tried new spark plug. pulled till i got blisters on my hand it will start almost every time and die in about 10 seconds. thaught about sending it to the moon maybe it will run in zero gravity.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-04-02, 10:04 PM   #6  
Hello Wily!

Does it puff black smoke when it runs? Is the plug wet with gas when it dies? Did you do the repair work, or someone else? An exhaust restriction can cause this symptom, also a leaking needle and seat. other things as well, but it sounds like most of them have been covered.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

08-05-02, 05:32 AM   #7  
mikejmerritt
Shot in the Dark...

Hey wily, you let us in on a new clue with..."it runs rough no matter if it is full or no throttle" ....Check your flywheel key, it sounds like this engine is out of time. This 8HP is a known hard hitter and even with the flywheel torqued properly it can kickback and shear the key sometimes. If by chance the key is sheared when you get in there seat the flywheel and ping it lightly to seat it, then torque it down......Mike

Visiting Guest

08-05-02, 06:23 PM   #8  
wily
thanks guys for all your great input you guys do a great job and are doing helping out more than you think the key way was it i replaced it and it runs great now if i can find a breather i will be set and the kid and i will be raceing again if the floated carb can handle the bumps if not thats another story thanks again i can put up the first aid kit . keep up the good work I will let you know how it goes and check back to see if i can learn more or help out .thanks

Admin Emeritus

CAL

08-05-02, 08:37 PM   #9  
Happy Camper Success Story

We LOVE To Hear Success Stories!...

Hello Wily:

On behalf of myself and the other moderators who contribute helpful suggestions & advice in my "Small Engine" forum, I'd like to express thanks to you for taking your valuable time to reply back in the forum.

Glad you got the engine problem corrected, included the correctional method and part used, fix the problem and had successful results.

Regards & Thanks,
Tom_B
Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Regards and Good Luck.
Web Site Admin, Moderator Hiring Agent, Host and Forums Manager. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician. Fast, Fair, Friendly and Highly Proficient...

Don't Take Freedom For Granted. Thank A Veteran. Need an Employee? Hire a Veteran

Not only is a mind a terrible thing to waste, it's like a parachute.

It doesn't function until it's OPEN.........

Elvis. "The Sun Never Sets On A Legend."

Gun safety is using BOTH hands!

Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-05-02, 09:53 PM   #10  
Good job wily! Good call Mike!!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread