Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

8hp engine that stalls...

Visiting Guest

08-05-02, 05:38 AM   #1  
raymo8
8hp engine that stalls...

Hey. I don't know if you guys remember or not, but a few months ago I was asking you a bunch of questions about a 8 hp Briggs & Stratton go-kart engine that wouldn't start. We went through lots of tests and procedures. Well, I finally got it to start. But now my problem is keeping it running. I got it to start with some quick-start engine fluid, but it only runs for about 20 seconds before stalling out again. When I felt it start to die, I would reach back and push down the choke. Then it would work through the stall and keep running. Then it wanted to stall with the choke activated so I would have to unchoke it while it was running. Again it would regain power and run for a few seconds before wanting to stall again. I know this is some kind of gas problem in the carburator, but do you have any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-05-02, 10:04 PM   #2  
Remove the float bowl and clean it out. that is probably all you'll need to do. Is your air/fuel mixture screw adjusted 1 1/2 to 2 turns out? Also, does it have an adjustment screw on the bottom of the bowl? Try turning it out 1/2 turn or so.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

08-06-02, 05:51 AM   #3  
raymo8
What is the float bowl and where is it located? Thanks.

Admin Emeritus

CAL

08-06-02, 02:50 PM   #4  
Hello: raymo8

The float bowl is located directly beneath the carb body. It will have a threaded screw of some sort securing it to the carb body.

Remove that hex nut screw and the bowl will come off. Clean as needed and check the screw threaded area. Many have tiny holes in the threaded area. Clean out the holes and the center bore.

Reinstall and remount carb exactly as you removed it.

Regards and Good Luck.
Web Site Admin, Moderator Hiring Agent, Host and Forums Manager. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician. Fast, Fair, Friendly and Highly Proficient...

Don't Take Freedom For Granted. Thank A Veteran. Need an Employee? Hire a Veteran

Not only is a mind a terrible thing to waste, it's like a parachute.

It doesn't function until it's OPEN.........

Elvis. "The Sun Never Sets On A Legend."

Gun safety is using BOTH hands!

Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Visiting Guest

08-07-02, 05:48 AM   #5  
raymo8
I haven't had a chance to examine the float bowl yet, but I have noticed that gas drips out of that hex nut that your talking about when the engine is running or is being pulled in order to start. Maybe that could be the problem. Too much gas getting in? Also, that hex nut has fallen out before so I had to replace it. I stuck a normal bolt that I had laying around the house in there. If it wasn't the same length (1/4 to 1/2 inch off), could this be the problem?

MD

08-07-02, 10:40 AM   #6  
You have to get the proper bowl nut for the engine. It has holes in it that send the gas up to the ports in the carb. You need the screw and the washer. Should be able to get from your local small engine supply.

Search this Thread