bent crankshaft

Old 08-07-02, 05:46 PM
pa64g
Visiting Guest
Arrow bent crankshaft

I am debating whether to take my John Deere Js61 (push mower) with a Briggs and Stratton 6.0 H.P. engine to the shop or fix it myself. I don't have an in-depth knowledge about the inner workings of the engine. If anyone has tips or any experiences about the process please let me know. Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-02, 10:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's not that hard of a job. You need to have a torque wrench and the torque values for the engine's bolts. A service manual will be the most important tool. You also may want to replace the rod, piston, and rings while you have it torn down. Depends on how much wear you have on the engine. It's hard to justify all that work and expense when a new engine runs around $225.00. (depending on which engine you have, 225.00 is what a 6.0 Briggs Intek OHV w/cast iron cylinder runs). Let us know if we can help!

Old 08-09-02, 03:31 PM
pa64g
Visiting Guest
Thanks Cheese,

I found a new Briggs and Stratton OHV 6.5 hp for 199.95 plus tax. I installed it yesterday. I'm going to play around with my old one and replace the crankshaft etc.. in due time. I'll let you know if I have any new questions when I start the project on my old engine.