Lawn Tractor Engine Problem

Old 08-08-02, 07:55 AM
standfas
Visiting Guest
Lawn tractor sputters and dies

I have a Husky lawn tractor with a Briggs & Stratton 20hp engine. The engines starts and runs well for about 10-15 minutes. After this period of time, it stalls and dies(the first time it did this I thought it ran out of gas). After it dies, it will not crank. When I turn the key, there is a clicking sound down on the side of the engine. It has done this twice. After the first time. I let it sit for several days and it started after this wait. The second time, it has sat for about a week and still won't start. I don't even know where to begin as far as trouble-shooting.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-02, 04:13 PM
jmount
Visiting Guest
Check your battery terminals for being loose or croded. If you have a DC volt meter check the voltage at the battery. Then check it at the starter when you try to start it. Let me know what you find.
John.......................

Old 08-08-02, 11:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's a very good place to start. Could be that your starter drive gear is jammed in the flywheel, or the solenoid is bad, etc...

Do the test and let us know.

Old 08-09-02, 05:24 AM
standfas
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the responses. Would these two problems cause the tractor to die while it's running?

Old 08-09-02, 10:53 PM
That shouldn't cause it to stall. When the engine dies, can you turn it (the engine) over by hand? You should be able to move the flywheel by hand. BE SURE THE KEY IS OFF WHEN YOU TRY THIS.
If not, very well could be a bearing seizing up when engine gets hot.

Old 08-12-02, 05:17 AM
standfas
Visiting Guest
Yes, I can turn the flywheel after it dies. I was afraid after the first time it did this, it may have been out of oil and burned up the engine. So...I tried to turn the flywheel, and I could. I'm stumped.

Old 08-12-02, 10:07 PM
Have you tried to jump start it from another battery?

If you do, and it starts, as soon as it dies try testing the battery voltage at the battery. I've seen auto batteries with bad cells and/or posts cause similar problems on cars.

Old 08-13-02, 12:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you check your battery connections and voltage?

Old 08-26-02, 11:14 PM
I reckon you have 2 problems. Carburettor or other fuel problem causing the dieing, and electrical causing the inability to crank.

Old 08-27-02, 03:22 AM
Check for any loose connections on the safety switches? May not apply, but, have you checked the ground wire connection coming from ignition switch that kills the motor? Check compression when it dies? Check for a flooded condition or no gas condition when it dies? Check for fire when it dies?

When you checked to see if the flywheel would turn, did you have to take the shrouds off then check, or were they already off?

Just some thoughts from a non-pro.

P.S. My son's 20 hp briggs did similar to this, but it was locked. I finally got it to start. Ran fine for a while, but eventually it went gachink! Tear down time . I'm thinking a rod cap came off.

Search this Thread