Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Starting Problem

Visiting Guest

08-12-02, 11:33 AM   #1  
bayouray
starting problem - Craftsman LawnTractor

I have a two year old Craftsman LT1000 20hp Briggs Intek Twin lawntractor which I bought new. So far so good....love the power and the smooth engine.

Recently it has not started however. There is plenty of power in the starter and it just turns away but the engine does not turnover or even attempt to turnover.

I checked the gas...it was good, checked the plugs...also good and used the old trick of putting a tiny amount of gas in the cylinder before replacing the plugs. It starts up immediately then and runs great....until I need to start it again.

The gas line goes from the tank to the filter and then to a black device attached to the housing (fuel pump???). I disconnected the fuel line from the filter side of this part and placed my finger over the intake side while I cranked the engine. I assumed I should feel some suction but did not.

What do you suggest?

Thanks Ray

Sponsored Links

LA

08-12-02, 10:00 PM   #2  
Bayou?? You must be in Louisiana too.

I would first check to make sure my carb's float is not sticking closed. If it's not, your diagnosis sounds reasonable.
That is a diaphragm type fuel pump and is simple and inexpensive to repair. Pull the fuel line on that end and place the end below the fuel tank elevation to be sure you have a flow there. If you do the problem is probaly the diaphragm. Any small engine shop will have the parts you need. Be sure and bring all the numbers you find on the engine housing. While your'e there, buy an in-line fuel filter so that you can avoid that problem in the future.
If your'e around Baton Rouge you can get this from either K&D Rental or Ivy's Small Engine.
In Denham Springs, Melvins Engine or Dave's Hardware

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-13-02, 12:08 AM   #3  
The pump is working fine if it runs well after you get it started. It sounds like your choke is not closing. The choke valve must fully close when first starting a cold engine. That essentially does the same thing for the engine that you did by putting gas in the spark plug hole. If it runs fine after that, then your pump is good. You really won't feel much suction on the line in the test you describe.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

08-29-02, 01:53 PM   #4  
bayouray
fixed!

Sears sent me a new fuel pump after I called the 800 parts number and said it was still under warrenty. They were fast, couteous, and sent the part right out.

I cleaned the filters real good and replaced the pump....running great again!

Thanks for the help.

Ray

Search this Thread