Riding Mower Engine Problem

Old 08-14-02, 02:44 PM
davidjharwell1
Visiting Guest
Question murray riding mower wont shut off

12hp.38in.cut after i get it started(bypassing sylenoid)it will not shut down/or start using the switch and when i engage the blades it boggs down the engine till it quits(rapidly).
Have replaced the battery,ignition switch,and sylenoid,but that didnt do a thing. Is there something that i'm missing ?
Also the kill switch under the seat does not work. HELP !

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-02, 09:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello David!

Look at the connector to the ignition switch. There is a black wire in the connector. Trace it down to the point where it bolts to the frame. Make sure the connection there is tight and clean. It sounds like that may be your problem. It probably has a ring terminal at the end that connects to one of the solenoid mounting bolts. Check it and let us know, we'll go from there.

Old 08-15-02, 05:11 PM
davidjharwell1
Visiting Guest
engine wont shut off

checked those connections, have not checked other wiring.
did not know if there was some other electronical part or terminal somewhere else, so far all connections are together, ground to sylenoid, switch. there is one thing i was wandering about and that is the switch connection itself, can it be that the terminal/plug for the switch isnt getting a good connection ? can it be rewired w/out any problems ? ANY suggestions are welcomed .........
P.S. ...if i hooked up the sylenoid backward, upside down w/wires hooked up backwards(+ -,- +), will it ruin it?

Old 08-15-02, 10:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
On the solenoid, either cable can be attatched to either post. If it has 2 small wires also, they can be connected either way too. The connector at the switch could be bad, yes. The black wire that I described is the siwtch ground. The switch uses this ground to stop the engine. The safety switches also use this wire to shut the engine off when the blades are turned on with noone on the seat, or the pedal is released with noone on the seat. Also, on the solenoid....There is a small red wire. Make sure that wire is on the large post that the cable from the battery is connected to. That may also be the reason it won't start by the key. A blown fuse could also do this.

The red wire on the pos. post of the solenoid supplies power to the mower. It goes through the fuse to the key switch. From there, it goes to the solenoid trigger wire...probably white or yellow. It gets power when the key is turned to start provided all safety switches are in the correct positions. If you get power there, but solenoid still won't engage, then either the solenoid is not grounded, or it is defective. It sounds like you have more than one problem here.

Old 08-30-02, 08:56 PM
davidjharwell1
Visiting Guest
thanks for all the help, you were right, there was alot more than
one problem. found out i need a new motor, the crank and rod was about to come through the block. just glad i did'nt buy the thing, It was givin to me ! only gonna cost me about $150.00 for another motor(used of course)once again thanks......

Old 08-30-02, 09:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's a good price for a good engine! Glad you are getting somewhere with it. Let us know if we can help!

Search this Thread