Lawn Tractor - Auto Trans Problem

Old 08-22-02, 06:12 PM
ourhome
Visiting Guest
Lawn Tractor - Auto Trans Problem

Okay, Murray 15hp/42" auto-trans tractor about 8 years old. Belt driven trans and deck. Problem is that belt keeps coming off drive of trans. Gone over manual mucho times, and had tractor up on blocks to look at setup several times attempting to see if I lost a part or not. What is happenning is when changing between forward and reverse (rocker pedal), you hear a metal "clank" as if something is loose and usually the belt comes off the wheel on the trans. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-02, 09:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello ourhome!

Does the clank come from the area under the seat, around the transaxle? There are several possibilities. First of all, i would suspect, by your description, that your transaxle input pulley may have stripped the splines that hold it on the shaft. Also, I have seen the center of these pulleys rot out due to dripping acid from the battery, which is mounted just inches above the pulley. Another possibility is the mounting bolts that hold the tranny may be broken. There should be 2 bolts at each end behind the wheels. Then, the ones most likely to be broken are forward of the previous bolts. They are holding the tranny to a bracket that comes down to the frame to the front portion of the tranny. Check these things and let us know. If you don't find your problem in these places, we'll continue.

Old 08-23-02, 04:35 PM
ourhome
Visiting Guest
Cheese, yup the "clanking" comes from under the seat (left side), right where the main drive wheel for the transmission. I'll check out tomorrow (Saturday) and let you know what I find out. Thanks!

ourhome

Old 08-25-02, 12:33 PM
ourhome
Visiting Guest
Cheese,

The back right side where the transaxle bolts to the frame has rusted thru for both bolts. This is causing the right side to be about an inch lower than the left. My theory, since finding this, is a shift in alignment of the pulleys and the belt comes off because they are not straight across from each other (right side pulley's and the transmission pulley). Right? So I will need to get a new plate welded on the right to re-level the transaxle?

Thanks,

ourhome

Old 08-25-02, 10:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like you found your problem! You could weld a plate on there, or make a plate and bolt it on. Either way, the transaxle needs to be mounted back firmly in the correct position.

The clank you hear is the unit shifting when you change from fwd to rev. It is allowed to twist and shift and will eventually break the transaxle case if left unrepaired, so don't drive it too much until you get it fixed.

Let us know how it goes!