Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn Tractor Question

Visiting Guest

08-23-02, 08:04 PM   #1  
Coady
Lawn Tractor dies with deck on!

The lawn tractor will drive forward, but as soon as I turn the deck on it dies. Then I realized the deck would work if I left the choke on. I think there is either dirt in a gas filter or the fuel pump is faulty...whatca think?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-23-02, 08:28 PM   #2  
Hello Coady!
Lemme guess...this is a two cylinder Briggs and Stratton, right? Disassemble and clean the carburetor, paying special attention to the jet at the bottom of the float bowl. This will solve your problem.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

08-24-02, 03:47 AM   #3  
Coady
Yeap!

Your right Cheese!
I look after my parents lawn while they are away and am starting to think I am a jinz!!! This year I have replaced the ignition, the deck belt and now .... a carburaetor cleaning!!!
I am not really inclined to this type of work... but I have no one to do this stuff for them!!
So enough chatter.... don't want to bore you!
Next question.... is this a difficult repair.... ?
Next question, I cut about 3 acres...... so ... running it this way 3 more times till my Dad gets back... will it harm the machine in anyway?
Thanks so much Coady

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-25-02, 12:12 AM   #4  
No, it's not a hard job at all. Maybe 30 to 45 minutes for a novice with ordinary hand tools. I don't reccomend running it that much like it is, although you probably won't hurt it. The problem is that the engine isn't getting enough gas. If the engine runs with too little gas, it will overheat, possibly predetonate, and at the least, cause extra wear. By choking it slightly, you are basically giving the engine more fuel. The question is, is it enough fuel or TOO much? At the very front of the engine near the bottom of the carburetor, there is a screw with a spring on it, screwed horizontally into the carb. Try backing that screw out 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. This may straighten it out well enough. To fix it the right way, you need to clean the carb though.

To clean the carb, you will most likely do well enough to just remove the air filter and housing....held on with three 5/16" screws. Then remove the choke cable...held on with one 5/16" screw. Then remove the four 5/16" screws that hold the top part of the carb on. Pull off the top of the carb. On the left side of the carb at the bottom there is a 5/8" plug. Remove it to drain the fuel in the bowl. Through that plug hole, insert an allen wrench...(1/8" I think) to removew the small jet in the carb. Clean out the jet, the hole is screws into, and the carb bowl with automotive carburetor cleaner. Spray cleaner through all ports and passages. Remove the air/fuel screw with the spring on it that I mentioned earlier, clean it. Clean out the hole it goes in. Reassemble. To adjust the air/fuel screw, screw it in all the way lightly, then back it out about 2 full turns. This should get it running like a champ. Let us know!

God bless!

Visiting Guest

08-26-02, 05:03 AM   #5  
Coady
I don't know where it is!

This lawn tractor is about an hour away from me. So if it isn't going to totally kill the lawn tractor by leaving it the way it is. I think it can just be! My Dad can fix it.....

I really don't even know where the carbureator is or what it looks like!
But also I know the oil is down, can you tell me what type of oil it takes? The stick shows that it is 1/2 down from the full mark.

Thanks so much!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-26-02, 06:47 PM   #6  
It takes SAE 30.

God bless!

Search this Thread