Lawn tractor transaxle

Old 08-25-02, 02:21 PM
Lawn tractor transaxle

Cheese,

Two questions:

1.) I have Craftsman II, LT-4000 model, 12.5 lawn tractor, with a six speed transaxle. All the forward speeds work, however, I can not get the shifter into reverse. This coincides with my nephew using my tractor. I checked all the bolts and readjusted the clutch. I'm looking for any suggestions on where to look next.

2.) Can you make any suggestions for a replacement voltage rectifier for a JD 140 besides the JD unit? Would it be wasted effort to in replace the diodes?

Hickory58

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-02, 10:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello hickory58!

The problem with your transaxle is the shifter lever is bent. The lever needs to be bent forward a bit. To do this, you can put the lever in the neutral position, then use a prybar or block of wood down near the transaxle to keep the lever from moving forward. Then push the lever in the forward direction to bend it.

It just got bent back so that when you put the lever in the reverse position, it really isn't going back far enough to get the reverse gear engaged.

On the JD140, there is a possibility that replacing the diodes will solve the problem. If not, I don't know where you might find a replacement other than JD. If I remember right, www.tractormanuals.com has or had a forum dedicated to John deeres, and I have seen many people bvuying and selling parts for these older mowers there. I think I know a guy locally who has one or two used ones (rectifiers). Those old mowers are developing quite a value nowadays, since you can't buy anything that remotely compares quality-wise. That's one tough machine.

Old 08-26-02, 06:38 PM
Cheese,

Yippee, thanks for then info on the Craftsman. I figured it was bent but wasn't sure which way to *adjust* it.

BTW, on the JD, I would be interested if your friend has a used one that is taking up space. I love the Deere, nothing stops it for working, er, ah, I mean, other than an electical problem

v/r

Hickory58

Old 08-26-02, 06:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'll see what I can find out!

Old 09-01-02, 03:36 AM
Not sur ehow your lever attaches to the trans case. If it has a nut or bolt, you might want to check and see if it good and tight. My Murry was giving me fits about shifting in any of the gears. I would put a little oil on it from time to time, and let it drain down into the shifting tube. That helped at first, but it kept getting worse. Then I noticed the nut that attaches the lever to the trans case. I tightened it and it really helped a lot. After fighting it so much before I noticed this nut, I may need to bend it some to really get right.